Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

What are the symptoms of a bruised or cracked sternum

Greetings,

Did you have any trauma, fall? What are your symptoms? Since how long the symptoms are there? Was any test done?

Regards.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
While training in hand to hand and take down wrestling moves at work about 2 weeks ago I experienced trauma to the chest. Since that time caughing, sneezing, and such are extremely painful. The rest of the time feels like a dull pain with a slight warm feeling in the chest. All pain seems to be on or very close to the sternum.
Thank you for the input.

Bruised or cracked sternum can have swelling over the area, tenderness & warmth. The pain can increase with movement, coughing, sneezing. . The increase in pain can also be there with muscle strain. An examination by doctor & an X ray will be required to differentiate. Meanwhile you need to keep it at rest. You can apply warm moist compress over it. Analgesics with antiinflammatory actions as you are taking also helps.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.