Dr .Saha
Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  35 years experience as doctor
8227957

I seem to have had a pulled muscle or pinched nerve in my back

Customer Question

I seem to have had a pulled muscle or pinched nerve in my back 3 days ago. Now I'm finding it hard to fill my lungs to capacity and a sharp shooting pain goes through my chest when I turn my head to the right. Any thoughts?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 6 years ago.

I need to know some points regarding your query.

On which part of the back the pulled muscle or pinched nerve was?

Does the sharp shooting pain in the chest persistent?

Do you feel pain during respiration and turning head?

Do you have any other symptom or previous illness?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No previous issues. When I turn my head to the left a sharp pain seems to go through my chest into my back over my left pectoral muscle. The pain is relatively constant.The pulled muscle seemed to originate from the centerof my left sholder blade close to my spine
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the information,

This seems to be due to muscle pull.

Sometimes there can be muscle tear too.

It increases with activity, movement.

Treatment of muscle pull is to keep the muscles at rest & application of ice initially .

At this stage heat will be more helpful.

Antiinflammatory medicine like ibuprofen can be tried to reduce the inflammation.

Sometimes prescription grade antiinflammatory drug, muscle relaxants can be required too.

X-ray/ Scan/ MRI can be needed to find out any injury to disc or muscle tear.

However if you are not getting relief, you should consult your doctor for a check up to exclude any other factor.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Regards.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have been training with progressive resistantance for 30 years.I run 20 to 45 miles a week. My resting heart rate is 62 and my blood preasure is normal. This doesn't seem like a muscle tear. I was benching well into the 300's today and I felt ok when I was working out. Its hard to breath and I'm concerned it may be due to some type of blockage.
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 6 years ago.
When you have done so much muscle activity today, then it may not be muscle cause.

As there is difficulty in respiration, lung cause like pleurisy or any inflammation or infection of the lungs or its covering can be possible.

Heart pain can present as shoulder or back pain.

Though your blood pressure and heart rate is good, still I feel you should have an EKG, X-ray to exclude any such possibility.

You should not wait further to seek medical attention.