Dr  Jones
Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD-Post graduation.10 years in handling and helping patients.Expert in emergencies and diagnosis.
27521838

I have been diagnoised mild straightening of the lumbar lordosis.

Customer Question

I have been diagnoised mild straightening of the lumbar lordosis. lumbosacrl junction is well aligned. no eveidince of compression fracture or spondylolistheis. there is mild disc deciccation at the L-2-3 L3-4 and L4-5 levels, with minimally decreased intervertebatal space heights.
diffuse disc bulge at L2-3, L3-4 and L4-5, with broad based central disc protrusion by the right forman of L3-4, resulting in mild formainal narrowing, touching the exiting right L-3 nerve root.

the disc bulge, more to the left at L4-L5, touches the exiting nerve root.
the right forminal protrusion at L5-S1resulting in mild right forminal narrowing.
the central canal is widely patent throughout the lumbar spine
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Jones replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.

Your symptoms and MRI findings are suggestive of radiculopathy that is pinched nerve(Sciatica ).Common cause is bulging intervertebral discs in the vertebral column that compress on the nerves as they come out of the spinal cord. Symptoms are experienced along the area of distribution/path of that particular nerve.

The treatment vary from conservative to surgery.
Conservative treatment include anti-inflammatory medications, physical therapy or chiropractic treatment, and avoiding activity that strains the neck or back. The majority of radiculopathy patients respond well to this conservative treatment, and symptoms often improve within six weeks to three months.In your case conservative treatment should work as the discs lesions are touching and irritating the nerve roots and for now there is no actual nerve root compression at present.But surely it will take some time for your symptoms go away.But the kind of activities you do at work are actually predisposing degenerative changes for spine and though it will be possible to perform these activities after symptoms are gone I would suggest you to avoided such activities as much as possible or atleast modify them. Your doctor can demonstrate how this activities can be performed in best possible way so that your spine is least hurt.Regular exercise avoiding spine strain and proper body weight are good preventive measures in long run.Please ask if there are further questions.Thank you.Take care.
Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
Experience: MD-Post graduation.10 years in handling and helping patients.Expert in emergencies and diagnosis.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sciatica is not involved. the pain does not feel as thought it is being controlled. I am always in pain anyware from a constant of 4-5 and spiking to a ouch of 9-10. so i I understant iyou in laymans tearms. the pain will inprove and i should return to normal life with some limitations. this is not a workers injury and i am on disability do you see this as a long term issue over (140 days). I am woring about long termas i am 48 and need to be able to work.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Dr Jones replied 4 years ago.
Yes, you got it right.As you are in initial phase of treatment the pain is more and surely pain should reduce with some time.If at all the pain doesn't improve then other options like epidural injections and surgeries need to be consider.But that should be consider after conservative treatment fails to resolve symptoms to acceptable levels.Though it can extent upto duration of 140 days, most patient feel better within say first four-six weeks.Don't worry about long term effects now as from your MRI findings its not an advanced case so with some modification at work ,life style changes ,medical help and proper body weight you can surely avoid further complications.Please ask if there are further questions or doubts. Thank you.Take care.