The Physician
The Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Versatile Emergency Physician, 20 years experience as a Physician.

What are the signs that death is close in congestive heart

Customer Question

What are the signs that death is close in congestive heart failure?
Category: Medical
Expert:  The Physician replied 6 years ago.

I am not a doomsday prophet, and I know there is power in the thought and mind. So I am going to ask you not to let your mind stray so far.

If your blockages are relieved by stents and you are having shortness of breath on mild exertion it does not mean the end, it just means your heart is in failure

The only way death comes in heart failure is for the heart to stop, there are no specific signs.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do we know from signs when the heart will stop? How long can a person live with constant pounding? My activity had decreased in the last few months a lot.
If you are on medications could you give me their names and dosages?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What you have are good medications.

Digoxin improves cardiac efficiency and strength of contraction, Metoprolol reduces the peripheral resistance (blood pressure) and hence enhance cardiac output, lasix reduce fluid and volume overload creating an environment for increased cardiac output as well.

Plavix and Aspirin reduce the stickiness of blood to prevent clots and stroke/ heart attacks.

I did not notice an Angiotensin Receptor blocker or ARB, or a potassium replacement.

So I am going top ask you to request your doctor to do your blood electrolytes , because if your potassium is low (it happens while on lasix) Digoxin will work against the heart rather than help it.

ARB's also have a protective effect, and help 'build up' the strenght of the heart

Do not give up before YOUR heart, you NEED to persevere.

Remember you have done just that for 284 continous months. Keep going on.

Edited by The Physician on 9/28/2010 at 6:15 PM EST