Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist

my legs, knees, hips & arms and hands ache all the time its

my legs, knees, hips & arms and hands ache all the time its been going on for about a month - any ideas?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

Were any investigations done for these symptoms?

What are the specialists you have consulted?

Do you have increased pain and stiffness in the morning, which gets slightly better later with the activity?

Do you have any joint swelling?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
this has been going on for about a month. I am very stiff in the morning and it gets better for a little while after moving but then it gets bad again. I do not seem to have any joint swelling. I broke my ankle six months ago and was on Aleve for a long time for pain. I had to stop taking it because my kidneys were making me retain water from taking to much Aleve (nsaid) - I have been off Aleve for at least 5 weeks maybe more. Could it be like a long term withdrawal? I have not been tested for anything.

Since your stopping the Aleve and appearance of symptoms coincide, there might be a relationship. But there is no direct way of establishing it and the only way to presume is to rule out any muscle disorder or connective tissue disorder by investigations. If none is found, this may point to the Aleve withdrawal (should not last long). Again, this phenomenon is not common or well established diagnosis, so other commoner problems should be very thoroughly investigated by a specialist like rheumatologist. You would initially need following investigations, if not yet done;

1) Complete blood counts

2) Complete metabolic profile

3) Creatinine kinase (this increases of there is a muscle disorder)

4) Sedimentation rate (this increases if there is a disorder like polymyalgia, though it occurs commonly after the age of 60, but has typical symptoms like your's).

5) Antinuclear antibodies, Rheumatoid factor etc for ruling out polymyositis etc which are connective tissue disorder with muscle pains.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun