Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have a slight burning sensation in my index finger and thumb

Customer Question

I have a slight burning sensation in my index finger and thumb on my right hand and I have been having some sensitivity in my lower forearm as well. That feels almost like a sunburn.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Any visible rash or discoloration?

Dr Uzair :

Since when have you been having these symptoms for?

Dr Uzair :

Please enter chat and use 'reply' to respond.

Customer :

No rash or discoloration. The arm symptoms have been off and on for a couple of months. The fingers started yesterday and last for 15 minutes at a time or so.

Dr Uzair :

Alright, any pins and needles?

Customer :

No

Dr Uzair :

Alright any pain in the fingers?

Customer :

no, just the burning sensation in forefinger and thumb

Dr Uzair :

Okay -- any pain in the back of the neck?

Customer :

no

Dr Uzair :

Is the burning towards the palmar side of the fingers or the back of the fingers?

Customer :

palm

Dr Uzair :

Okay -- Do you have any other medical conditions or are you on any medication?

Customer :

I am on diovan for blood pressure and allegra for allergies

Dr Uzair :

Alright, although there is an incidence of paraesthesias associated with Diovan but they are rare and should occur in different places instead of occurring at the same place all the time.

Dr Uzair :

This seems more likely to be due to irritation of the median nerve.

Dr Uzair :

This can be at the level of the elbow or at the level of the wrist.

Dr Uzair :

When at the level of the wrist this is also known as Carpel Tunnel Syndrome.

Dr Uzair :

When the nerve is entrapped between tendons of the flexor muscles.

Dr Uzair :

You need to get this evaluated by a physician. Till then you can wear a wrist support and restrict vigorous activity with the right hand.

Dr Uzair :

A clinical examination and some work up will pin point a diagnosis.

Dr Uzair :

Do you have more questions pertaining to this?

Customer :

no

Dr Uzair :

Please do click ACCEPT to credit this assist.

Dr Uzair :

Best wishes.

Dr Uzair :

Please click ACCEPT to credit this assist.