Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MS

My right collar bone has been tender and painful for 3 months.

My right collar bone has been tender and painful for 3 months. It is slightly swollen and tender to the touch. Pressing on it gives some relief. My dr. says it probably isarthritus and prescribed pain meds. Not helping. Pain spreads to shoulders and is worse when I wake up or move around in bed.

I am an orthopedic surgeon and would be glad to help.

Can you tell exactly where is the pain located ?
Is it at the inner end of the collar bone, or outer end or somewhere in the middle of the bone?
Do you suffer from any other illness like diabetes?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have no other illness. I take no other meds. Pain begins at tip of collar bone (slightly swollen and tender) and spreads to shoulder at its worse
Dear Customer

You most likely have developed arthritis of the acromioclavicular joint which is formed by collar bone and acromion portion of the scapula.
If other treatments have not been successful in giving pain relief you should discuss having a steroid shot into the joint with your doctor preferably an orthopedist.
If even an injection fails to give relief surgical treatment in the form of resection of acromioclavicular joint is required.Though surgical treatment is required extremely rarely.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does that mean the pain will never go away unless I get a steroid shot? Isn't the shot temporary?
Condition of arthritis is a degenerative condition and can have a waxing and waning course with periods of relief with periods of pain.Though steroid shots are considered to give temporary relief but in many patients this relief can last for years.But in many relief will be for few months.You cannot know how long will it last until you get one.