I would like to have few details from you. she is having any symptoms such as difficulty in breathing? how much tooth pick is swallowed? she is having any symptoms?
No problems breathing or any other pain. She swallowed about a third to a half of the toothpick.
It most likely partially chewed up before it went down.
Thanks for your details. I would say that swallowing tooth pick to such amount can be serious can leads to damage to food pipe or stomach and even intestines. I will advise her to visit ER for urgent check up and for monitoring. There might be need of scans and examination is important in order to investigate any thing serious.
Ok but a piece pf wood ie toothpick will not show up on any scan I know of.
CT scans can identify such foreign objects and even barium swallow studies if the tooth pick is stuck up some where in the food pipe.
I hope she will be fine but in order to make sure it is important for her to visit ER for complete examination.