Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience:  Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS
16101430

Why does my urine often smell like burnt rubber

Why does my urine often smell like burnt rubber?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Amir :

hello

Dr. Amir :

I would like to have few details from you. any history of burning urination? this happened for the first time or long history of such smell in urine? what type of food you usually eat (healthy one or mostly junk)?

Customer :

I generally eat average to healthy food.

Customer :

This has been happening for about 3 years,

Customer :

No history of burning urination.

Dr. Amir :

Thanks for your details. I would say that there are few important possibilities which can be responsible for such smell in urine such as bacterial growth or infection of the urinary tract, dehydration (not taking enough fluids), asparagus in food, taking lots of carbonated drinks, kidney diseases.

Dr. Amir :

I will advise you to see your physician and its important to have some tests in order to make sure every thing is fine there and I will suggest these tests such as urine culture & analysis, serum urea, serum electrolytes.

Dr. Amir :

I will also suggest you to eat more healthy food and avoid carbonated drinks. Try to increase your fluid intake as well

Customer :

It is not dehydration - it happens at any time, It is not asparagus, and I don't drink soft drinks.

Dr. Amir :

then there is a strong possibility of bacterial growth or infection there which can only be confirmed by urine tests. Such smell in urine is not normal and improtant to have investigations done which I mentioned.

Dr. Amir :

then there is a strong possibility of bacterial growth or infection there which can only be confirmed by urine tests. Such smell in urine is not normal and important to have investigations done which I mentioned.

Customer :

O.K. Thank you.

Dr. Amir :

Do accept the answer if you are satisfied with the response and in this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. If you need more info please ask. My best wishes are with you.

Dr. Amir :

you welcome

Customer :

1 question - if it is bacterial growth, is it possible to get rid of it, by careful use of vegetable juices, herbs amd vitamin supplements?

Dr. Amir :

yes you can try that especially cranberry juice, vitamin c tablets but again I will suggest you to have urine test done at least so important to make sure every thing fine there.

Customer :

Thank you again. No further questions.

Dr. Amir :

you welcome & always here for your help.

Dr. Amir :

Do accept the answer if you are satisfied with the response and in this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience: Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS