Dr. Wajid
Dr. Wajid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (Internal Medicine)
20564665

my urinalysis showed a trace amount of leukocyte esterase so

my urinalysis showed a trace amount of leukocyte esterase so a culture was ordered. the results of the culture show 1,000 - 10,000 cfu/ml mixed urogenital flora. do i have a UTI or cystitis (what is the difference). i have flu'ish symptoms and lots of low back pain. no burning. haven't ever had a UTI before, that i can remember. i am 63 and not sexually active.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr Wajid :

Hi

Dr Wajid :

Welcome to just answer...

Dr Wajid :

A culture that shows 1,000-10,000 cfu/ml with mixed urogenital flora is less likely to be UTI...

Dr Wajid :

A culture report that shows a cfu/ml count of more than 100,000 with a single isolate would have been a more definite evidence of UTI

Dr Wajid :

Your report is indefinite in the sense that both the cell count is less as well as no single organism is isolated, raising the suspicion of contamination of the urine sample...

Dr Wajid :

Since you do not have urinary symptoms I think that your diagnosis should be reviewed and another urine culture be sent to be sure of the diagnosis

Dr Wajid :

Finally UTI is a broad term that encompases Pyelonephritis(infection of the kidneys), Cystitis(infection of the bladder) etc

Dr Wajid :

I hope this answers your question

Dr Wajid :

Do let me know if you have any further questions

Dr Wajid :

Thank you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
where is the answer? i don't see it on the page
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have pain all the way across my back just below waistline. i'm thinking it might be a kidney infection. could that be? i've read that even a small amount of flora (100) can indicate an infection. my doctor will probably want another UA done. but can you please tell me if this back pain could be kidney infection?
Well yes you are right, as you can have UTI by a count as low as 100... However a kidney infection is usually very severe with high grade fever with rigors and chills along with back pain that is usually located to either side and may or may not radiate to the groin... And in such cases you surely will have a cell count much more than you currently have...

So I dont think that this backache is due to a kidney infection...

Do get an Ultrasound done to be sure and get a repeat urine analysis done as well

Thank you...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i also have urge to pee much more than usual and hardly anything comes out.
Well this symptom can be due to UTI most likely Cystitis