Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

The right side of my throat hurts. It hurts to swallow and

Customer Question

The right side of my throat hurts. It hurts to swallow and when I yawn it hurts all the way from my glands to my jaw. I have also been been getting hoarse alot lately. What could this be?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

What is your age and gender and how long has this been a problem for?

Dr Uzair :

Please enter chat and use 'reply' to respond.

Customer :

29 Female and It's been effecting me off and on for a couple of weeks now

Dr Uzair :

Alright, cough, sputum/phlegm, heartburn, bitter taste at the back of mouth?

Customer :

cough rarely, I have to clear my throat alot this morning. Heartburn sometimes but that runs in my family and no bitter taste

Dr Uzair :

Okay, do you have any nasal congestion, feeling of fluid trickling at the back of your throat? Any patches or white spots at the back of your throat?

Customer :

no not at all

Dr Uzair :

Alright, do you smoke?

Customer :

yes

Dr Uzair :

Okay -- What have you tried for this so far? Any OTC medication, visit to a doctor?

Customer :

neither, at first I thought it was stress related. My mom went into the hospital and I was talking on the phone to people non stop and my voice would get hoarse and go in and out and my throat hurt then my daughter just had an emergency appendectamy Tuesday and it started to hurt again Tues morning.

Dr Uzair :

One last question -- Fever?

Customer :

none

Dr Uzair :

This is most likely to be chronic pharyngitis, the only things that come to mind as an etiology are smoking and voice overuse, acid reflux which is presenting with a sore throat.

Dr Uzair :

Here is what you need to do, Voice rest

Dr Uzair :

Saline gargles about 4 times a day with luke warm water to soothe the throat.

Dr Uzair :

Lozenges with anesthetic OTC.

Dr Uzair :

Sleep in a head up tilt position about 30-45 degrees, you can use a wedge pillow for this purpose.

Dr Uzair :

Avoid spicy, salted, smoked and barbecued food.

Dr Uzair :

Avoid smoking for a week till this subsides.

Dr Uzair :

You can also try taking an a proton pump inhibitor used for heartburn known as Omeprazole 20 mg twice daily.

Dr Uzair :

An anti inflammatory medication like tylenol 2 tablets every 8 hours. These measures will help resolve the inflammation.

Dr Uzair :

Though if this is a stubborn one, or if fever develops I would advise you to visit an ENT doctor.

Dr Uzair :

Hope this has helped. Please click ACCEPT to credit this assist. You can ask follow up questions if you want to clear anything.

Dr Uzair :

You need to click ACCEPT in order to credit this assist. If you have any more questions please ask me.

Customer :

Thanks I will see a Dr today at 1:15

Dr Uzair :

You are welcome. Please click ACCEPT to credit this assist.

Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.