Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Physician
Experience:  MBBS DNB
25843817

I have been coughing for 6 weeks now. My symptoms progressed

Customer Question

I have been coughing for 6 weeks now. My symptoms progressed as follows:

Week 1: Consistent dry cough and severe heartburn
*Went to the doctor and was prescribed Omeprazole for my heartburn. I have been taking one pill daily and have not had heartburn since*

Week 2: Slowly developed sinus congestion and cough worsened significantly to a deep lung cough. I was coughing up greenish-yellow mucus along with blowing it out of my nose. I started coughing all night and therefore began feeling exhausted every day from lack of sleep.
*Took Robitussen DM and Nyquil only sparingly as they did not appear to help very much. When I start coughing and can't stop, the only thing that helps is to take 1-2 halls.

Week 3: Same as week 2.
*I went to another doctor who told me that there has been a virus going around that can last up to 2 weeks. She gave me an inhaler (Symbicort) to take twice a day to help with my cough. To date, this hasn't helped at all.

Week 4: My sinus congestion cleared up completely, but the cough remained. I was no longer coughing anything up. My cough was consistent throughout the day, but seemed to worsen at night and in the mornings.
*Continued taking my heartburn meds, the inhaler and halls.

Week 5: Coughing still but slightly less than at week 4. I have coughing fits throughout the day that halls seems to help. At this point I've gone through 5 bags of halls.
*Went to a doctor again. Had blood work and a chest xray done, both of which came back normal. My doctor prescribed me with flonase (Fluticasone Propionate Nasal Spray). I have been taking it twice in each nostral per day for a week and now only once per day. I do not see a significant improvement. I was also prescribed Robitussin with codeine to help me sleep, but it was not effective at all.

Week 6 (current): My coughing persists. My throat is slightly sore. My immune system seems to be very bad. I'm quite pale all the time, I have had 2 bad cold sores in the past 2 weeks (before that it had been almost 2 years since my last one), I am exhausted constantly from lack of sleep, I have a very hard time getting to sleep at night when I never did before, and my stress level has increased because I am in school now.

I am female, 28 years old, and have no preexisting conditions that I am aware of. I have mild allergies to dust and animals. My allergies have not been out of control through this. I have been tested for asthma before and do not have it. My throat glands were only swollen and tender for the 2 week period I was very sick.

Any ideas on what I can do to get better? My frustration is mounting.

Thank you!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
skindoctor2000 :

Hello

skindoctor2000 :

Your cough has not responded to any of the medicines like codeine , and other steroid sprays that you have inhaled.

Customer :

that's correct

skindoctor2000 :

There seems to be an element of an allergic predisposition which has resulted in a constant inflammation of the throat

skindoctor2000 :

as it gets better with the steriod inhalation and then reverts back

skindoctor2000 :

so what you would need to do at this stage is to perform blood levels of serum Ig E a

skindoctor2000 :

you will also need to get a detailed Pulmonary Function tests done

Customer :

my cough does seem to get better some days, even to where i don't have any coughing fits, and then gets really bad the next day

Customer :

alright, i have another doctors appointment tomorrow so i will mention this

skindoctor2000 :

yes that is because of the inflammatory substance which triggers your cough attacks is persistenly present in your throat tissue and even lung alveolar tissue

Customer :

the pulmonary function test, is that where i blow into a plastic device to see if i have asthma?

skindoctor2000 :

yes

skindoctor2000 :

your treatment will need to be continued for a long.

skindoctor2000 :

what is your eosinophil level in the blood

Customer :

i am not sure but I had blood work done last week to check my blood count and to see if i might have an infection of some kind present, but i was told that it was all normal

skindoctor2000 :

eosinophils will give me a clue to confirm the allergic predisposition

skindoctor2000 :

also an IgE level will confirm

Customer :

what might i be allergic to that could cause this? i've never had any severe allergy issues before

skindoctor2000 :

well viral illness in the background can cause supression of the immunity

skindoctor2000 :

and hence the body in defence produces huge amounts of Ig E which stimulates the mast cells and the histamines in the lungs and throat which can result in the what you'

skindoctor2000 :

have

Customer :

i see, if this is indeed the cause, what can i do to help it?

skindoctor2000 :

the best way is to continue the treatment like :

skindoctor2000 :

the inhalers for 2 months , you might have to add in a theophylline based medicine

skindoctor2000 :

even codeine will need to be continued for a little longer

skindoctor2000 :

that will give you good sleep too

Customer :

the codeine was mainly prescribed with my cough syrup to help me sleep, but it hasn't helped with that at all

Customer :

should i continue to try to take it every night regardless?

skindoctor2000 :

how many tablespoon did you take?

skindoctor2000 :

have you visited an Ear Nose Throat specialist

Customer :

2

Customer :

no i have not, but i will mention that as well in my doctors appointment

Customer :

actually it was 2 teaspoons

skindoctor2000 :

yes good that will help you better

Customer :

which is what i was prescribed

skindoctor2000 :

you can take one tablespoon to one and half

Customer :

alright i will try that tonight before bed, will it make me groggy the next morning though?

skindoctor2000 :

yes it would but you could take it 2 hours before going to bed...make sure you do not drive a avehicle

Customer :

also, i've been taking 2000mg of lysine daily to try to boost my immune system and get rid of these cold sores, but i am not seeing an improvement after a few days. should i continue with it?

Customer :

alright

skindoctor2000 :

no you can stop it

skindoctor2000 :

will not make any difference

skindoctor2000 :

you can eat more of protein in your daily diet

Customer :

alright

skindoctor2000 :

5-6 egg white daily will help you boost your immunity

Customer :

i will do that, are there any other foods i can eat to help?

skindoctor2000 :

animal proteins

skindoctor2000 :

white chicken

Customer :

i will do that. thank you

skindoctor2000 :

you can press the green accept button as a credit for my work..a feedback or a Bonus would help

Customer :

alright, i really appreciate it, thank you and i hope to get better very soon

skindoctor2000 :

yes you will

Dr. Pravin, Physician
Experience: MBBS DNB