Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Can someone with high blood pressure, diabetes, and thyroid

Can someone with high blood pressure, diabetes, and thyroid problems take mucinex for sinus drainage that is causing chronic coughing?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Customer : Hello
Anthony Bray MD :

Yes, you can take mucinex. The regular Mucinex has guafenesin in it and this is OK with your conditions. If you take the Mucinex D however this has a decongestant in it which can raise BP a little. You would need to have good control of yourBP in order to take the D form.

Customer : If I were to take half of mucinex d would that help? What else would you suggest?
Anthony Bray MD :

You can take a half dose and this would help it to have less effect on your BP. It would be a good idea to check your BP response if you take the medicine.

Customer : Ok , thanks for your help
Anthony Bray MD :

You are welcome!

Customer : If I take Tylenol , will that have any adverse effect?
Anthony Bray MD :

Tylenol is fine for you to take.

Customer : Even with mucinex?
Anthony Bray MD :

Yes, that is fine.

Customer : Mucinex-D?
Anthony Bray MD :

Just have to be careful with the BP with D version is all...

Customer : MucinexD
Anthony Bray MD :

Right, Mucinex D

Customer : MucinexD
Anthony Bray MD :

Right

Anthony Bray MD :

So to further clrify IF your BP is well controlled say 135/85 then a few days of a five point elevation is not anything to worry about. If on the other hand your BP is not well controlled say 150/100 then you would not want to take the Mucinex D which might elevate it further. So your baseline control of your BP is an important factor with this.

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

I hope this information has been helpful for you. If you have further questions then let me know and I will be happy to get back with you.

If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD