Dr Brims
Dr Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  MD

What can cause pain in ankles, knees, wrists and sometimes

What can cause pain in ankles, knees, wrists and sometimes an elbow? It started with my wrists and I noticed it when trying to do push-ups while exercising. The left knee started about 6 months ago and it wasn't consistent, I actually thought I hurt it when starting up another exercise regime. Then a few weeks ago my ankles started hurting...and it's horrible. I don't want to move anymore. To top it off, my thumbs are now painful as well. Could it be just not enough water in my system - I only drink about 8 oz at day if that?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Brims replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr B :

Hello

Dr B :

Do you have any joint swelling or redness?

Customer :

No redness and there doesn't appear to be any swelling. There may be a little in the ankle, but not huge.

Customer :

I've gained quite a bit of weight in the last couple years. I thought it might be that my joints can't handle it, but I've been at my current weight for about a year without anything until recently.

Customer :

Then when my thumbs started hurting, it really scared me.

Dr B :

Did you notice the pain 6 months ago for the first time?

Customer :

I don't want to get up after sitting. My ankles have a weird sensation in them.

Customer :

My wrists have hurt for a couple years. I've even had the chiropractor check them and there's a little bone that gets out of whack.

Customer :

But the ankles have just started hurting and that is the worst thing. I really can't stand getting up to walk. On a scale of 1-10, the pain is about a 7.

Dr B :

Have you had any x rays?

Customer :

The ankles have been like this for about 2-3 weeks.

Customer :

None.

Customer :

No x-rays.

Dr B :

Any fevers or chills?

Customer :

No.

Customer :

My ankles almost feel like they're cold a lot of the time. Even now when the rest of my body is almost feeling too warm.

Dr B :

I see. What questions can I help you answer?

Customer :

What could be some causes of this and what types of questions should I ask my own doctor if I need to make an appt.

Dr B :

This could be arthritis, and there are many possible causes of that.It could be due to degeneration or it could be due to inflammation in the joint.Since it affects multiple joint I would lean towards inflammation, but you need x rays and tests to make sure.Degeneration is just due to wear and tear in the joint. Inflammation could also be due to several causes, most likely an autoimmune process or an infection (unlikely).The first thing you need is x rays of all the joints where you have pain

Customer :

Does arthritis come on quickly, like my ankles/thumbs - but yet have one knee hurt for a longer period of time? Also, it's specific to the inside of the knee - I always thought it was like a vericose vein because it aches kind of deep.

Dr B :

It can come on very quickly if it is due to inflammation.If it is due to degeneration it is usually a slower process

Customer :

Okay, at least I have some kind of idea. I'll call my doctor and see what she can do. I just had my yearly exam the end of July and didn't have any of the ankle, thumb pain like I do now. I didn't think to ask her at that time because the wrists were explained by the chiropractor and the knee wasn't hurting like it does now.

Customer :

Thank you.

Dr B :

You're welcome, let me know if you have more questions or concerns,

If you are satisfied, please click ACCEPT

Dr Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: MD