Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialities & US Medical Graduate
18703594

Will suboxone show up on a pre-employment drug test How long

Customer Question

Will suboxone show up on a pre-employment drug test? How long does suboxone stay in your system?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Wilson :

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Wilson :

Customer :

Are you able to answer my questions?

Dr. Wilson :

Yes suboxone can show up on a pre-employment drug test and can be detected up to 9 to 10 days after use due to the buprenorphine portion of this medication

Customer :

Are you able to answer my questions?

Dr. Wilson :

Yes, it will show up

Dr. Wilson :

Yes it will last as long as 9 to 10 days

Dr. Wilson :

So, if it has been at least 9 to 10 since you last used the drug, it should not show up

Customer :

Is there a way to detox it from your system?

Dr. Wilson :

I hope this helps, If you have more questions, please ask, and Please Click on ACCEPT, as this would be appreciated for my time and service, thank you.

Dr. Wilson :

When did you last use this medications and when is the test

Customer :

Last used 2 mg today. unsure when the test is. I live in CA and it's a company in FL. Not sure if I will wait until I move next month

Dr. Wilson :

Well - your best bet is to wait at least 9 days to take the test if you really want this job.

Dr. Wilson :

There is no way to get this medication out of your system any faster.

Dr. Wilson :

Also, the drug can be out of your system as soon as 5 days - but to be on the SAFE side, I would recommend waiting 9 days.

Customer :

I found the same info on posts on line. What happens if I don't hit the accept button?

Dr. Wilson :

Also, you can ask the company what drugs they actually test for, and suboxone might not be in their panel of drugs that are tested for.

Dr. Wilson :

If you don't hit accept I don't get compensated from justanswer, although justanswer still has your money

Dr. Wilson :

so they either keep it all, or I get a portion - up to you

Customer :

of course you'll get a portion

Customer :

while I have you... do you know if any of the over the counter detox drinks work?

Dr. Wilson :

Thanks - if you have additional questions please do ask

Dr. Wilson :

The detox drinks I would not recommend - because these detox drinks all the testing companies know about - so many of these detox drinks are actually tested for, and then you become suspicious even if you have zero drugs in your system - so you have to be careful for that - we see that all the time with federal workers

Customer :

Do you know if most companies generally test for suboxone? I know it won't show as an opiate

Customer :

i've only been on it for 5 days

Dr. Wilson :

No, most do not, but federal government and DOD do, because this medication is really used for detoxification for opiods for the most part

Dr. Wilson :

And, if you have a prescription for it, then you really do not need to be concerned.

Dr. Wilson :

You can ask which test your company might use and then see what drugs they test for specifically - there are many tests out there and many companies do not spend the money for every drug, because more drugs that are tested for, the more expensive the test is

Dr. Wilson :

Some screenings can cost as much as $500 per person - so it depends

Customer :

what's DOD?

Dr. Wilson :

Department of Defense

Customer :

gotcha

Dr. Wilson :

I'm a doc for the federal government

Dr. Wilson :

so I see testing all the time

Customer :

No, it's not a government or DOD job

Customer :

makes sense

Dr. Wilson :

and I can tell when tests have been tampered with by using detox agents

Customer :

good to know

Dr. Wilson :

Most companies would not test for this drug

Dr. Wilson :

Especially with the Smaller Panel of drug tests - it gets too expensive to test that many people for all drugs

Dr. Wilson :

So they test for the more commmon drugs like cocaine and marijuana

Customer :

funny part is, I'm not an addict.... tried suboxone for a few days out of curiousity. happy to be done with it, but really want this job.

Customer :

Not a problem -I don't even drink

Dr. Wilson :

Then wait the 9 days - it will be worth it

Customer :

The job is as a Project Manager to assist with the openings of new treatment centers. So it's a rehab that would have me lab tested

Customer :

if I have the option of waiting 9 days, I will!!!

Dr. Wilson :

Cool -

Dr. Wilson :

Customer :

will do. thanks for your help

Dr. Wilson :

Take care and please click on ACCEPT so that Justanswer may compensate me, thank you

Dr. Wilson :

Are you there

Dr. Wilson :

Anyway - hope you click on ACCEPT, take care

Dr. Wilson :

Dr. Wilson :

Are you there

Dr. Wilson :

Dr. Wilson :

Are you there - the system has just come back online

Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board Certified in 2 Specialities & US Medical Graduate
Expert:  Family Physician replied 4 years ago.

I would agree with most of the information that the other expert has provided, however I would like to correct the statement that the DOD includes testing for Suboxone in the military and federal employee testing program. Neither of those programs include testing for Suboxone.

While Suboxone can be detected in urine, it is rarely tested for in preemployement testing.

Please accept the other experts answer which was correct in regards XXXXX XXXXX situation.