Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

have problem with my sciatica nerve what kind of doc do i

have problem with my sciatica nerve what kind of doc do i see

Welcome to Just Answer:

I suggest that you follow-up with an orthopedic doctor for closer evaluation with complete physical examination, and/or MRI of the back spine (Lumbar-sacral) to exclude any involvement of disc herniation or bulge. Closer physical examination will reveal if there are positive straight leg raise signs, tenderness to palpation in the back and buttock muscles and/or sciatic notch. Treatment can include physical therapy, heating pads, use of anti-inflammatory medications, nerve neutralizing medications such as Neurontin or Lyrica (if there are neuropathic symptoms of numbness and tingling), and/or muscle relaxants if there is some muscle spasm. In the meantime, I suggest that you use over the counter Aleve 1-2 pills twice daily with food, heating pads, and over the counter capsiacin cream applied to the buttock and/or legs to reduce any numbness and tingling if present. If not present, then do not use the capsiacin. A follow-up with your doctor for closer evaluation will better define the problem for more definitive treatment.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.