Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

Why does my lower back (lumbar area) hurt all the way through

Customer Question

Why does my lower back (lumbar area) hurt all the way through to my abdoman and down to the calves of my legs? I can hardly walk at times and it gets worst the more I stand. Its been hurting since I had a colonoscopy 3 mos ago. I also have a vertebra out of alignment and 2 herniated discs. I'm told my back problem shouldn't effect my legs. The pain wakes me. in the night also. I'm miserable!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
DrThomasMd :

DrThomasMd :

As it turns out, the disc disease can affect your legs. Has no one recommended therapy for this? And what level is the most disc disease at?

DrThomasMd :

let me know

DrThomasMd :

Customer :

I have minor scoliosis int he L4-5 area and a grade 1 spondylolisthesis and some changes of degenerative disc disease with disc space narrowing and diffuse ventral encroachment on the thecal sac. The spondyloisthesisminimally decreases nonweightbearing and with extension verus flexion.Bilateral decreased filling of the L5 nerve root sheaths.I've had MRI's and a Myelogram. Ct scan of the lumbar spine

DrThomasMd :

OK, wait while I change the question format. Don't reply till you see my next answer

DrThomasMd :

3 minutes

Yes this situation is very amenable to therapy and is affecting your legs.
See a physiatrist, this is an MD who has specialized in PM&R or physical medicine and rehabilitation. He/she will examine you and look at your MRI, etc. and will develop a structures diagnosis and give you therapies [physical therapy, electronic therapies, etc] tailored to your specific structure. Much more chance of efficacy and arresting deterioration.
Ask also about specialized traction devices that have recently been developed that are used in office.
Although I'm surpassed no one has recommended this, response rates are often very good.
Hope this helps.
Please click accept to give answer credit. Ask more if needed. Positive feedback and bonuses most helpful to us. Answers for informational purposes only.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Could the colonoscopy have anything to do with this?
Usually there would be quite a bit of illness if there were a perforation from colonoscopy, a rare complication...fever, increasing pain, etc. If any of this occurs, get help immediately. In the mean time simply report the abdominal pain to the Gi doc or whomever is on call. But I do not thing that most of this is from the colonoscopy.
Good luck again

Please click accept to give answer credit. Ask more if needed. Positive feedback and bonuses most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only.