Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

I am prescribed 40 mg. of oxycontin twice a day and have been

Customer Question

I am prescribed 40 mg. of oxycontin twice a day and have been taking them for almost a year. I have severe swelling in my joints, particularly in my hands and feet. Could this be a side effect of the oxycontin or one of the filler or inactive ingredients in this drug?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

The lack of use of an effective anti-inflammatory medication in combination with oxycontin for the treatment of chronic or persistent inflammation can result in the swelling or worsened inflammation. Oxycontin has no anti-inflammatory action by itself. In fact, with chronic use of oxycontin by itself, the breakdown byproduct of oxycontin can contribute to the inflammation. I suggest that you follow-up with your doctor for closer evaluation with joint fluid tap and examination, along with X-ray and/or MRI. In the meantime, I suggest that you use over the counter Aleve 2 pills twice daily with food. Another alternative and effective anti-inflammatory medication that can be prescribed by your doctor is Mobic 7.5 mg once daily. Other possibility that can contribute to the swelling joints includes the worsening of the underlying autoimmune inflammatory conditions, and should be evaluated for and/or excluded.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your response. However, I have been tested for underlying autoimmune diseases with negative results. The oxycontin was not prescribed for joint pain and swelling. The joint pain and swelling came after the oxycontin. Alleve and Mobic do not work.

I have suspected it has something to do with the oxycontin. Or, as I have learned from you it may be from the byproduct breakdown of the oxycontin. I have suggested that the oxycontin may be the cause to several specialists who have all replied "no". I'm sure until now. Would you kindly direct me to some resources that provide information regarding the byproduct breakdown of oxycontin and it contributing to joint inflammation. Please note that I will more than fairly compensate you once I receive your response. Your help has been very valuable to me. Also, please let me know how to increase the amount of compensation I already paid. Or, do I just compensate again? TYVM!
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much:

The joint pain and swelling that you experienced after Oxycontin use was likely related to the release of histamine (which can induce inflammation, swelling, pain and itching) caused by the Oxycontin. The release of histamine (one of the mediators of inflammation) is a known fact with Oxycontin. See below:

Swelling in my left leg only... could it be oxycontin side effect ...

OxyContin (oxycodone)
See the the "Uncommon (affect less than 1 in 100 people)" - last listing

"Fluid retention causing swelling, eg of the ankles (oedema)". It can also occur in other joints and cause pain.

Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am not sure how to increase the money for your response, especially your second response. So, I am going to hit accept answer wherein you will be paid $30.00. Then, I will send you an additional $85.00. I really appreciate your help. I have seen several specialists at UPMC and Allegheny General (West Penn Hospital) with everyone telling me that the oxycontin cannot do this. Again, thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.
You are most welcomed. God bless.