Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

all day today my right arm and hands have a numb tingling feeling

all day today my right arm and hands have a numb tingling feeling that i cannot shake. I am a 60 year old female with no previous heart problems
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Is this in the right hand and arm only or on both sides?

Dr Uzair :

Please enter chat and use 'reply' to respond.

Customer :

my right arm and hand only- no other symptoms typical of a womans heart attack

Dr Uzair :

Alright.

Dr Uzair :

Is there any pain in the right arm or hand?

Customer :

no pain

Customer :

becoming more and more numb

Dr Uzair :

Any pain in the back of the neck?

Customer :

no

Customer :

no pain anywhere

Dr Uzair :

Dicolouration of the fingers of the right hand?

Dr Uzair :

Temperature changes, feeling cold to touch?

Customer :

no

Customer :

not cold to touch

Dr Uzair :

Do you have any other medical conditions diagnosed previously? And are you on any medication?

Customer :

take a variety of medications- but nothing new in past year

Dr Uzair :

Can you name the conditions you take the medication for please?

Customer :

no other medical conditions beyond mild depression ( on & off all my life) and chronic anxiety- also low thyroid and slightly high blood pressure- medications are for all the above

Customer :

buspirone, xanax, synthoid, benicar

Customer :

taken all for past year -some for much longer

Dr Uzair :

Alright. Well, I must add, if medication or a systemic disorder like hypothyroidism were causing your tingling and numbness it would manifest itself in both arms.

Customer :

also not prone to panicking about medical conditions but feeling like maybe I should go to a hospital- but not if it isn't a potential heart attack- too costly if not a real emergency

Dr Uzair :

This seems more consistent with a pinched nerve. Circulatory problems ruled out because you do not have any discolouration or swelling.

Customer :

wouldn't I feel pain with a pinched nerve?

Dr Uzair :

Heart attacks usually present with palpitations, choking pain in the chest, shortness of breath, anxiety.

Customer :

always have anxiety but not the others

Dr Uzair :

Pain in heart attacks is usually referred to the left arm, jaw, between the shoulder blades on the back or in the upper abdomen.

Dr Uzair :

No, it not necessary that you feel pain if a nerve in being compressed or being impinged upon.

Customer :

none of those symptoms but hand is getting increasingly numb & am sure that I am not thinking myself into it getting worse

Customer :

have had pinched nerves over the years- always were painful

Dr Uzair :

You should try anti inflammatory medication for now, like Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) 600 mg thrice daily, elevate the arm to the level of your heart.

Dr Uzair :

Gentle massage with anti inflammatory OTC liquigels is also beneficial.

Customer :

I prefer aspirin and have taken some within last 2 hours for minor headache

Dr Uzair :

But I would suggest you get an appointment with your PCP for a physical examination, x rays of the thoracic outlet and cervical spine and nerve conduction studies.

Customer :

not an emergency then??

Dr Uzair :

Does not seem to be an emergency with the symptoms you mentioned but let me tell you what to watch out for:

Customer :

fingers may be getting colder but not any change in color

Dr Uzair :

Swelling of the hand, shortness of breath, discoloration of the fingers (blue, white or red), chest pain.

Dr Uzair :

Alright, do you know how to feel pulses?

Customer :

yes

Dr Uzair :

Feel the pulse in your right hand and then in your left hand, are they equal and same pressure with each pulsation?

Dr Uzair :

Feel them on the wrist.

Customer :

it figures...... now I can't find a pulse- though of course I have one-

Dr Uzair :

You can't feel your pulse in your right hand? Can you feel it in the left one?

Customer :

no

Customer :

not either- it's me- not the lack of a pulse in the right arm

Dr Uzair :

Alright.

Customer :

I guess blood pressure machine would not help? I have one of those

Dr Uzair :

Look at the tips of your fingers, notice any change in colour?

Customer :

no

Dr Uzair :

You can check your blood pressure in both of your arms, should be equal.

Customer :

ok- will go get the machine

Dr Uzair :

Of course if some people have unequal blood pressure in both arms but that is there for a long time.

Dr Uzair :

Alright.

Customer :

my husband tried to take my pulse but he said it is very light- he can feel it but not enough to count it (the left wrist- not the right)- will take blood pressure now

Customer :

he did say my fingers are colder on right numb hand

Dr Uzair :

Both the pulses should be equal, if the right one is light, check the left on.

Customer :

blood pressue machine takes pulse- I fogot that my blood pressure is high on right side- 163/93 and pulse 75 ( possibly high because I am scared. will try left side now

Dr Uzair :

Alright.

Customer :

left side is 149/96 and pulse is 74

Customer :

blood pressure normally "normal" with Benicar

Dr Uzair :

Did you take the blood pressure from the arm or the forearm? Above elbow or below elbow?

Customer :

above elbow

Customer :

didn't know you could take it below elbow

Dr Uzair :

Some automated blood pressure apparatuses can be worn on the wrist or below the elbow as well.

Dr Uzair :

Depends on what type of machine you have.

Dr Uzair :

Well the above elbow measures pressures from the brachial artery.

Dr Uzair :

I am more concerned about the smaller arteries below the elbow.

Customer :

typical kind I have always seen doctors use- do they look different?

Customer :

I can try that

Customer :

not on wrist though????

Dr Uzair :

But with circulatory problems, you should have discolouration.

Dr Uzair :

No, its alright.

Dr Uzair :

I wouldn't want you compressing your arteries again and again with the B.P. cuff, it can worsen the condition.

Dr Uzair :

This is what you should do.

Dr Uzair :

If you observe any discolouration (Bluish) on your finger tips.

Dr Uzair :

If there is excruciating pain especially on movement of the fingers.

Customer :

tried BP below elbow on right arm- 153/86 pulse was 74

Dr Uzair :

These are signs of a thromboembolic phenomenon, also known as blood clots.

Dr Uzair :

Alright, this is more likely to be a nerve impingement.

Dr Uzair :

You will need to go and see a doctor for the tests I have mentioned but not in an Emergency room.

Dr Uzair :

If you observe the signs of concerns that I mentioned above then you need to seek urgent medical attention.

Customer :

ok- took left BP below elbow and was 142/78 and pulse 70- mean anything?

Dr Uzair :

Nothing significant. I wouldn't be worried.

Customer :

ok- how do I print this so I can take to my doctor tomorrow?

Dr Uzair :

You can try pressing right click on the text above the box you type in and selecting 'save as'.

Dr Uzair :

Hope this has helped.

Customer :

yes it has

Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.