Dr.Hussey
Dr.Hussey, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS-1(R). Have been with patients of medicine all through my career
39815606

I had a sharp stinging pain starting in the upper calf about

I had a sharp stinging pain starting in the upper calf about 6 weeks ago, over this time the pain move up behind my knee and in the last week the pain has now moved to just above the area behind my knee. Pain levels are randomly mild discomfort where it feels like a pulsating pain to overwhelming stinging pain where I latterly collapsed. The pain comes randomly, but seems to be triggered more when my leg is elevated. The area is not hot, nor is it swollen, and this has been consistent from when the pain started in the upper calf. There is no residual pain in the upper calf, or behind the knee any more. The last few hours I have noticed the pain moving up again to the middle of the back of leg. No specific movement or touch seems to trigger the pain
Chat Conversation Started
Dr.Sam :

Hello! Hope I would be of great help to you and will try my best to be upto your expectations .

Dr.Sam :

What is your age?

Dr.Sam :

And what you do for living?

Customer :

I am 31

Customer :

I workin an office environment mostly sitting

Dr.Sam :

ok. Please wait while I am working on answer for you

Customer :

thanks

Dr.Sam :

There are many causes of calf pain. Some of them are deep venous thrombosis, muscle tear, cramps, trauma, infection, hematoma, cellulitis, thrombophlebitis, vericose veins, intermittent claudication etc.

Dr.Sam :

There are many more which all can not be mentioned here

Customer :

i know i have been doing lots of research online

Customer :

what is concerning me is the movement of the pain

Customer :

DVT is the first thing i researched but the symtops don't seem to fit

Customer :

i don't recall any trama to the area that I can remember, anti infamlitories didn't do anything

Dr.Sam :

It can be due to DVT or claudication as well. The thrombus can move in the veins to cause such symptoms.Also claudication in different areas can cause pain in different region.

Dr.Sam :

DVT can present in many different ways. Like you must have read that there is pain when you press the muscle, it is not always present in DVT.

Customer :

also not sign of brusing, there is no varicous vains in the areas

Dr.Sam :

The best course would be to get the leg examined by a doctor or a surgeon to be more specific.

Customer :

a little pricey but i may just have to do it

Dr.Sam :

DVT is a potentially threatening disease and needs few investigations to be done like a doppler ultrasound of leg which can diagnose any blockade by a thrombus if present

Customer :

would DVT get worse when the legs are elivated?

Dr.Sam :

NOt necessarily

Customer :

it is when my leg is elivated when the pain seems to come very frequently

Dr.Sam :

Rather leg is advised to be raised if swelling is present

Customer :

no swelling

Dr.Sam :

It can be due to shift of thrombus due to change in position

Dr.Sam :

An examination would make things clear

Customer :

i tend to agree, my online reasearch is not getting anything definate which i hopped it would

Customer :

would using a blood thinner like asprin be advisble or dangerous?

Dr.Sam :

There are many variations for a single disease.

Dr.Sam :

Aspirin may not be helpful if it is DVT. It would require therapy with heparin and then warfarin

Customer :

would i be correct in guessing that no change in pain from anti inflamitories rule out mussle injury?

Customer :

straing or contraction

Customer :

sorry, spelling is shocking

Customer :

i took voltarin tablets and used the gel on the area, no change

Dr.Sam :

No it does not rule out such thing as there may be a hematoma constantly pressing upon or a muscle tear causing pain constantly

Customer :

if it is was a surface vain block it should have cleared by now from what i have read rathan than move, would that be fair to assume?

Customer :

i think like you said I will need to look at making a booking to get this looked at asap i think

Dr.Sam :

Yes but it may not cause so much pain in calf and also may not travel.

Dr.Sam :

Yes you are right An examination of leg is required asap

Customer :

a lot of the suggestions you have mentioned have been what i have read up on, nothing mentioned movement of the pain but like you said it can be different for the same thing

Customer :

i'll look at making a booking in the morning for early next week

Dr.Sam :

YEs youv got it right. These things come across while working in clinics.

Customer :

doesn't look like i get an online anser for this one

Dr.Sam :

I dont think that you will get an answer by search engines. Also it is in no way an alternate to medical attention.

Customer :

ok Dr.Sam looks like i'm no closer to answer tonight, i appricate you time in this

Dr.Sam :

Most welcome

Customer :

i agree

Dr.Sam :

Best of luck...Take care.

Do click ACCEPT if you find the answer useful for you. In this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Clicking accept will not cost you anything. Bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.

Customer :

when i had the boils it was easier to reasearch

Customer :

ok, thanks for that