Dr Brims
Dr Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  MD
14307416

I am not losing weight even after having a gastric band fitted

Customer Question

I am not losing weight even after having a gastric band fitted 20 months ago!
So not eating much!!
Now having a personal trainer!
Eating very healthly.
But not losing weight!
Only lost about 3/4 of a stone
Some of my friends who also had the band have lost stones!!
I am very concerned it may be due to my metabolism etc But about 18 months before my band I had acute pancretitus then had my gall bladder removed. The decided to have the band. To make my weight come off an become healthier.
But I apid for my surgery
However it is not working for me and I think it it is due to something in my body not working properly.
I have had the usual thyroid blood tests But I am sure My body isnt working as well as it should. How can I take this further. Make my doctor suggest other tests maybe to do with my panreas etc Any help advice greatly appreciated .Thnak you
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Brims replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr B :

hello

Dr B :

Do you have symptoms of tiredness or weakness?

Dr B :

Is the fat centered in certain areas of your body?

Customer :

Hi

Customer :

I am not really tired as I have to take sleeping tabs to sleep at night. My fat is around my stomach and my rib area

Customer :

but i am not losing any weight?

Customer :

Hello Dr B

Dr B :

Everytime you leave this webpage or close it it shows you have logged out of the chat.Would you prefer to use another form of Q&A?

Dr B :

HI

Customer :

not sure as i am just at my computer!

Dr B :

I see, can you see the chat page?

Customer :

no

Dr B :

I see, I guess your page is different

Dr B :

Have you had tests for cushing disease?

Customer :

No!

Dr B :

I think you should have testing for cushing disease, it can lead to weight gain in certain areas, especially the stomach

Customer :

why though has my doctor not suggested this or the consultant who i deal with for the band?

Customer :

i think they would have suggested this dont you?

Dr B :

I don't know, maybe he doesn't suspect it

Dr B :

What does your diet consist of?

Customer :

Ok fair enough !what are the other symptoms?

Customer :

fruit vegetables fish occasionally meat etc everyhting healthy at present!

Dr B :

What carbohydrates?

Customer :

very boring!

Dr B :

What do you mean by boring?

Customer :

No bread. not much rice maybe oat cakes as the GI book suggests

Dr B :

Have you had diabetes testing?

Customer :

Well having having hardly eaten anything much for the last eighteen months until I had my band let out It has been horrendous being sick every night. when I tried to eat .

Dr B :

have you been tested for diabetes?

Customer :

now i eat very little meals and all good things I am only joking about it being boring it is away of life.

Customer :

I have type 2 diabetes controlled by diet

Customer :

had my blood test resultys yesterday and blood pressure etc six monthly check and i am fine apart from not feeling anything in my toes!

Customer :

I am a becoming a puzzle !

Customer :

i just cannot lose the weight!!

Dr B :

I see, well I think you should have testing for possible cushing syndrome, which can cause weight gain

Customer :

it is so depressing for me I thought having a gastric band operation would change my life instead it is becoming a nightmare!

Dr B :

I'm sorry to hear that.Cushing syndrome should be ruled out as a cause

Customer :

Such a lot of money to pay out for something which is not happening!

Customer :

Thanks for that then.

Customer :

No other thoughts?

Customer :

I feel such a failure !

Dr B :

The band doesn't always help with weight loss, sometimes a gastric bypass is necessary.I have seen patients who didn't lose weight with the band, and required a gastric bypass to lose weight

Dr B :

You have not failed

Customer :

Thank you so much for your help.

Customer :

Mary

Dr B :

You're welcome.Let me know if you have more questions or concerns,

If you are satisfied, please click ACCEPT?

Dr B :

Do you still have any questions?

Customer :

Hi Not really 100% satisfied with the complete answers .

Dr B :

What questions do you still have?

Dr B :

If you still have questions I am willing to help

Customer :

I just feel that you could have tried a to offer me some other alternative really.

Dr Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: MD
Expert:  Dr Brims replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry you feel that way.If you need more information I am still availble to help if you have questions. I think you should really have the test for cushing syndrome to start with

here is a link thaat will give you more information-

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cushings-syndrome/DS00470/DSECTION=symptoms

Edited by Dr B on 9/10/2010 at 8:20 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
<p>I do not agree with the Cushings diagnostic as I am not red at all on any parts of my body also I do not have  a rounded face or back lumps between my shoulders etc.</p><p>So not at all hapy with this idea about Cushings.</p><p>Did you read the list of ailments? Re Cushings ?</p><p>I have looked it up on the Mayo Clinic as suggested but not happy with diagnosis!!</p><p>Please I would like my monies back</p><p>Thanks</p>
Expert:  Dr Brims replied 4 years ago.
You don't have to have all of the symptoms and signs, if you have some of them it should be looked into, to make sure you don't have it.Another thing you should look into is control of your diabetes as well.If it is not controlled you may find it hard to lose weight.And I stated that the lap band procedure does not always work, sometimes a gastric bypass is necessary to achieve weight loss

Edited by Dr B on 9/11/2010 at 10:54 AM EST