Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I got a sudden onset of pain on my left jaw,under my ear and

Customer Question

I got a sudden onset of pain on my left jaw,under my ear and down my throat/neck area, only on the left side?..I also, have nausea,sweating,chills,diarrhea? I also have internal hemoroids and have been fighting those for three years, not sure if theis is realated at all? I have good teeth with no cavits, just got them check, now i do grd my teeth and wear a night guard and never had any jaw problems before?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.

There are several considerations regarding these symptoms.

The jaw symptoms that you describe are common in persons that have dysfunction of the joint of the jaw, called the temperomandibular joint, or TMJ. The TMJ is located immediately in front of the ear. The pain with TMJ dysfunction is frequently felt around the ear and radiates along the muscles that move the jaw, so can extend along the face or down the neck, as well as causing headaches. One of the risk factors for development of TMJ dysfunction is grinding the teeth. TMJ dysfunction is not usually associated with abdominal symptoms.

It is possible that the pain is due to an acute infection, which also can cause the chills, sweating, nausea, and diarrhea. The most common type of infection would be a viral infection, although a bacterial infection is also possible.

The hemorrhoid would be unrelated to these conditions, although the diarrhea may exacerbate the symptoms from the hemorrhoid.

Ultimately, it would require an appropriate evaluation to determine the exact cause, but there are some home interventions that you can try. It may help to take an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. It also may help to apply local care to the jaw, such as ice or moist heat. If these interventions do not help, then it would be appropriate to be seen at that point.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
does tmj, have an sudden onset of pain? It it doesn't go away in what kind of a timeline, should i go to see the dr ? also do these symptoms be related to a dental abcess? Does TMJ go away on its own? would i need anitbiotics? I went to emerg lastnight and the dr didnt seem very concerned about it. But I can barely open my mouth or move my jaw. I am also trying ice, doesnt seem to help though.

TMJ can have a sudden onset of pain. The clinical course of TMJ can vary significantly. In some people, it may resolve easily, but others have more significant symptoms for a longer period of time. A dental abscess can cause jaw pain, but should have been apparent when recently checked. Antibiotics would not help TMJ dysfunction or a viral infection, although it would be appropriate if there were a bacterial infection. At this point, it would be reasonable to try the anti-inflammatory medicine and add the moist heat to see if it would help the symptoms.