Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I have a chirping noise in my ear. I cannot make it happen

Customer Question

I have a chirping noise in my ear. I cannot make it happen it is an intermitent sound the sometimes stops if I put my finger in my ear.
I spent days looking for the sound in my house until I realized it was in my ear.
By the way, they are clean!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thanks for your question.
Well as you describe there may be possibility of Tinnitus in your case.
Tinnitus is a ringing, swishing, or other type of noise that seems to originate in the ear or head.
It can be caused due to following factors which include -
Old Age (advancing age is accompanied by a certain amount of auditory nerve impairment and tinnitus)
Otosclerosis (stiffening of the middle ear bones)
Stress
Eustachian tube blockage
Sinusitis
High blood pressure
Thyroid problems
It is advised to undergo a clinical examination of ears , blood pressure monitoring, Lipid panel,X-ray of paranasal sinuses for further evaluation .
In the meantime you should take some self care measures as well.
Try Valsalva manoeuvre
-Take a breath in. Then, try to breathe out gently with your mouth closed and pinching your nose (the Valsalva manoeuvre). In this way, no air is blown out but you are gently pushing air into the Eustachian tube. If you do this you may feel your ears go 'pop' as air is forced into the middle ear. This sometimes eases the problem.

Try sleeping with your head propped up in an elevated position which lessens head congestion and noises may become less noticeable.
Take OTC Decongestant or Antihistamine tablets .
Avoid alcohol, smoking , caffeine.
Do meditation and deep breathing exercises.
Avoid loud noise as well.

I suggest you to consult an ENT specialist for further evaluation and management.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I alreay take OTC allery med, I do not drink caffeine and I do not smoke. I do have an occasional glass of wine. How might that affect my ears?

I never did like loud noises and I do avoid them.

So, I guess I will do what I thought I should do in the beginning...Go to an ENT Physician.

This was really not a big help!.

Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 6 years ago.
Well alcohol increases the force of your blood by dilating your blood vessels, causing greater blood flow, especially in the inner ear area and resulting tinnitus .
Stopping excessive use of alcohol , caffeine , smoking helps in reducing the severity of Tinnitus in patients so this is just lifestyle modification .
However as you are not consuming them so it is less likely to affect your ears.

Apart from this , other possible causes should be ruled out in your case so it is advised to undergo a clinical examination by an ENT specialist for further evaluation and management .
Line of treatment depends on the underlying cause which is very essential to rule out in your case.
For further reading -
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tinnitus/DS00365/DSECTION=causes

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What would be the difference in the diagnosis if I had ringing, buzzing or any other sounds in my ear?

Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 6 years ago.
Well Tinnitus is any noise in ear, it can sound like ringing , roaring, clicking, hissing, or buzzing,chirping ,etc.
It may be soft or loud, high pitched or low pitched.
You might hear it in either one or both ears.
Also Tinnitus is not a disease.
It is a symptom that something is wrong in the auditory system, which includes the ear, the auditory nerve that connects the inner ear to the brain, and the parts of the brain that process sound.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Is this something that is normally temporary or as I age will it continually increase in volume and become a constant?

I am a very active, physically fit 65 year old female, aging seems to be catching up with me but I'll take it rather than the alternative.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 6 years ago.
Well firstly it is very essential to rule out the possible cause of Tinnitus in your case.
If it is related to age then it can gradually increase in volume .
However if this is caused due to other factors like
Stress
Eustachian tube blockage
Sinusitis
High blood pressure
Thyroid problems
Medications induced then your doctor may treat the underlying cause which helps in subsiding your symptoms .
So it is advised to undergo a clinical examination by your regular doctor first for further evaluation and management .
If required your doctor may refer you to ENT specialist .