Dr Brims
Dr Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  MD
14307416

My legs feel as though they are very weak---like rubber. I

My legs feel as though they are very weak---like rubber. I just had arthriscopic knee surgery, however this problem was bothering me prior to the surgery. I also have numbness in my feet (toe area) and recently saw a podiatrist; he indicated it could be from cholesterol meds. I have stopped those (advised by my physician's nurse), but it hasn't subsided. Within the last couple of days, I am feeling a slight tremor in my hands.
This continues to bother me.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr B :

Hello

Dr B :

is your primary doctor aware of these problems?

JACUSTOMER-er9h2707- :

have had recent physicals and, yes, I have informed him----first began while playing tennis some time ago

Dr B :

I see, any pain or swelling in your legs?

JACUSTOMER-er9h2707- :

only the knee area that just had the surgical procedure----other knee is to be done as well

JACUSTOMER-er9h2707- :

can't really say that legs are "weak" just tired---as though I've run 20 miles after doing any activity---feel as though I can hardly wait to sit

Dr B :

Have you had any doppler ultrasounds of your legs to evaluate your arterial blood supply, or an angiogram?

JACUSTOMER-er9h2707- :

yes for circulation---no indication of a problem I was considering regular muscular therapy/massage; do you feel that would help?

Dr B :

A massage will not likely help the weakness.have you started physical therapy?

JACUSTOMER-er9h2707- :

-have completed all suggested sessions; this problem was existing prior to the knee surgery I do have scores from a calcium test (over 400) dr. has suggested a stress test, but I don't know if I can do that with my knee current condition----could this problem be heart related?

Dr B :

It is unlikely to be heart related if it is just your legs that are weak

Dr B :

Have you had a CT scan of your spine?

JACUSTOMER-er9h2707- :

no would that just show nerve damage or ????

Dr B :

If you have any type of nerve compression, then it can lead to loss of nerve supply to the muscles in your legs, which may lead to weakness

JACUSTOMER-er9h2707- :

this sounds strange, but the description would be that my legs are strong, but tired---not weak

Dr B :

I think you will benefit from a Ct scan of your lumbar and sacral spine, and possibly an MRI as well

JACUSTOMER-er9h2707- :

have had MRI of both knees-but not of spine

JACUSTOMER-er9h2707- :

were that the case, is there medication for nerve compression

Dr B :

No, there is no medicine, only surgery

JACUSTOMER-er9h2707- :

spinal surgery?

Dr B :

Yes, spinal surgery

Dr B :

It may also be due to an electrolyte abnormality, but I assume they would have checked those before your surgery

JACUSTOMER-er9h2707- :

is there a chance it would ever correct with physical therapy? when I say massage, I am referencing therapuetic or dare I mention a chiropractor to a medical doctor?

JACUSTOMER-er9h2707- :

which of the lab test would indicate electrolyte abnormality?

Dr B :

A complete metabolic profile will show any electrolyte abnormality

Dr B :

If it is spinal cord compression it will only be rectified with surgery, some nerve compression can be improved upon with physical therapy

JACUSTOMER-er9h2707- :

I have in front of me my last 14 Panel Metabolic Lab Comp. What should I view to indicate a possible elec. abnorm.?

Dr B :

It has your electrolytes on it

Dr B :

I don't advise you to try a chiropractor again

JACUSTOMER-er9h2707- :

Oh, I haven't

JACUSTOMER-er9h2707- :

I see glucose---BUN---creatinine serum---eGFR---Sodium, Serum---potassium serum----chloride, serum----carbon diox. total---globulin total---ast---alt---alkaline phos. A/G ratio---calcium---protein---billirubin and several other listings---all are within normal range except gluose (102) and hemoglobin A1c 5.6 (4.8-5.6%) and of course, the chol/hdl ratio

Dr B :

This means your electrolytes are normal

Dr B :

Do you have any other questions you would like me to answer?

JACUSTOMER-er9h2707- :

ok ---well it sounds as though a non invasive approach (physical therapy) should be the first choice---but you don't think it's heart blockage related?

Dr B :

No, I don't think it is related to heart blockage

JACUSTOMER-er9h2707- :

I suppose I needed to stay away from pounding the tennis courts

Dr B :

We don't know that for sure.I think you should have the CT scan of your spine before concluding anything

JACUSTOMER-er9h2707- :

ok --- I'll suggest that to my physician---thank you

Dr B :

You're welcome

Dr B :

let me know if you have more questions or concerns,
if you are satisfied, please click ACCEPT