T Khan
T Khan, Doctor
Experience:  UW Med School/UCLA Training/USC Faculty. Full Spectrum Family Medicine - Adult, Peds, OB/GYN
33362630

I have a sharp pain in my front lower neck just above the collar

I have a sharp pain in my front lower neck just above the collar bone. It hurts when I lie on my right side and REALLY hurts when I lie on my back. Pinched nerve or something more serious?
Category: Medical
Expert:  T Khan replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
T Khan :

Welcome to JA - sorry you are going through this, let me opine. Do you have any medical problems or take any medications? Does it hurt when you breathe in?

T Khan :

Nonetheless, here are a few possibilites for the pain and regions you are describing:

T Khan :

1) pinched nerve -- it could be superficial nerve pinched between your muscles.

T Khan :

2) contusion -- bruise of your rib --> more likely. heals with time. warm packs and pain meds are the best course of action.

T Khan :

3) cyst or other growth -- however, you'd feel a lump

T Khan :

4) muscle strain or sprain from an injury or sleeping on it wrong

T Khan :

In that anatomical region, those are the most likely causes.

T Khan :

Less likely but serious are things like carotid artery dissection, other vascular abnormalities.

T Khan :

Either way, you should be evaluated obviously by a doctor but the above is a basic set of differentials.

T Khan :

Does this help? If so, please remember to click ACCEPT as I receive no credit until you do. If you have follow up questions, feel free to post them here and I will be flagged and shall return to answer them.

T Khan :

I see you reposted the question on the forums, do you have any questions propr to accepting?

T Khan :

I mean prior to?

Customer :

I had an MRI showing disk degeneration on C4 and cysts C4--T1. This pain has been since the MRI was done. Could these be the cause?

T Khan :

LIkely not. If you had a bluging disc or spinal stenosis at that level, maybe. But disk degneration really shouldn't cause this.

T Khan :

HOwever, a cyst (based on size) may cuase some of this pain, espeically when laying on your back.

T Khan :

So the disk degeneration shouldnt cause this but the cyst most definitely may.

T Khan :

If the pain is severe, ask your doctor for a referral to an ortho spine surgeon and they can discuss how to remove the cyst if it's big enough to remove.

T Khan :

Does that help?

Customer :

yes. Would clavical vein stenosis cause it? I have abdominal sarcoma that has moved to immoninate vein. Seeing doctor this week.

T Khan :

Ahh...interesting. Sub-clavicular vein stenosis may cause pain like his but one would also expect some swelling, etc.

Customer :

There is some swelling left of the "hump" at the base of my neck and it is painful to touch.

Customer :

Right of the "hump"

T Khan :

It may be as you mentioned. It may also be a cyst or infiltrated lipoma. Either of which, your primary doctor can take a look at and possibly remove in clinic.

Customer :

Thank you. Peace of mind is worth the price. :)