Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  Several years of clinical experience in all fields of Medicine.
11246089

What kind of doctor should I see I have what might be a groin

What kind of doctor should I see? I have what might be a groin injury. I have trouble lifting my leg and it has interferred with my tennis and all exercise. I've had this about 5 months. It hurts in my groin, in my back, in the hip joint, and down my leg all the way to my toes. I'm a female, 64 years old.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 4 years ago.
Hello, welcome to just answer and thank you for your question.

You should see an orthopedic specialist urgently.

If you do not have a history of trauma during tennis or exercise, it is quite likely that you may be having a lumbar disc prolapse or simply degenerative change in your lumbosacral spine. The pain in your leg going down the leg is likely to be due to sciatica or irritation or compression of the sciatic nerve.

You need to get an X ray of the lumbar spine as soon as possible as well as an x ray of the hip jointThe hip joint may be having age related osteoarthritic changes.

It was a pleasure assisting you.Please press the "GREEN ACCEPT" button to accept the answer. FEEDBACK and BONUS would be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

But this says nothing about my major problem which was the pain in my groin and my abdomen is swollen above my right groin.

The pain and swelling in your groin could be due to 'groin strain' or a groin pull due to injury to the muscles of the inner thigh. A groin pull will cause pain in the groin area, difficulty in walking, pain while sitting.

Another possibility is a sports hernia. A sports hernia typically begins with a slow onset of aching pain in the lower abdominal region. Sports hernias have been found in patients who were diagnosed with chronic groin strains. The sports hernia is a condition similar to a regular inguinal hernia, and is due to a weakening of the muscles that form the abdominal wall. Symptoms may include:Pain in the lower abdomen, pain in the groin.

I should consult an orthopedic specialist and get the groin area examined. An ultrasound of the area is also suggested as the swelling in your lower abdomen may not be related to the groin pain.

Please take OTC advil or prescription medicine zanaflex for the pain.Applying heating pads to the area may also be helpful.

Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience: Several years of clinical experience in all fields of Medicine.