How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 33545
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have intense abdominal pain. It hurts when I move or walk.

This answer was rated:

I have intense abdominal pain. It hurts when I move or walk. It radiates throughout my abdomen and lower back. I thought it was gas ,but it's incrediby painful.



I am sorry that you are in pain.


What is your age and gender?

What is the exact location of pain on abdomen?

Do you have tenderness, gas, bloating, nausea/vomiting, diarrhea/constipation?

Any significant past medical illness or surgery?


Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
30 yo female.
Lower abdomen, three inches below belly button.
Slight tenderness, bloating. No nausea/vomiting/diarreha/constipation.
Had thyroid removed because of benign tumor at 14 ys-old.

Thanks for the further details.


Few more questions, Please.


When was you last period?

Are you sexually active?

Any vaginal discharge or urinary symptoms (increased frequency or burning)?


Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Last period was three weeks ago. Yes. Was active two days after last period. No sexual activity since. Slight, clear vaginal discharge today. No urinary symptoms. Hurts lower abdomen when I micturate.

Thanks again for the details.


Following are the possibilites;


a) Urinary tract infection

b) Ovarian twist (it is the torsion of the ovary)

c) Salpingo-ophoritis (infection of the ovary and fallopian tube).


If your pain is moderate to severe, it is necessary that you see a doctor either at an urgent care clinic or at ER. A urine exam and an ultrasound (or a CT scan) is necessary for work up apart from the physical exam to pin point the cause. If pain is mild, you may take Motrin / Advil. Drinking plenty of fluids, avoiding alcohol and caffeine drinks would help. Vitamin C and Cranberry extract capsule (available without prescription) changes urinary pH and help in urinary tract infection.


Please feel free for your follow up questions.


Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm not sure. It feels like a ball in my lower abdomen. Sitting on the toilet and straining hurt terribly. Just repeated, and didn't hurt this time. Starting to feel better. Took Simethicone about an hour ago. Could it have been gas after all?



This can be gas. As intestines lie below the navel too. But urinary problem or vaginal discharge are not likely to be associated with it. The intensity of the symptoms would dictate the further management. An intense severe pain, if persistent need attention of a doctor. While the mild symptoms can have a wait and watch approach.


It is privilege assisting you.


Dr. Arun

Edited by Dr. Arun Phophalia on 9/5/2010 at 4:45 AM EST
Dr. Arun Phophalia and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you