Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

Is sulfameth/trimethethoprim good for elarged lymph nodes

Is sulfameth/trimethethoprim good for elarged lymph nodes?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

If the cause of the enlarged lymph nodes is related to bacterial induced infection and/or inflammation, then the sulfameth/trimethoprim (Bactrim or Septra) would be effective against the sensitive bacteria. Considering that you have chronic lymphadenothy, it is also possible that there is another contributing underlying autoimmune related chronic inflammation and/or infection. Tests such as ESR, C-reactive protein, ANCA panels and complete blood count with differentials will help exclude this possibility. It is likely that in addition to the Bactrim or Septra, that you would need other medications, including anti-viral and/or antifungal medication if the biopsy of the enlarged lymph node reveal any other causative agent. In the meantime, I suggest that you continue the use of the medication (Bactrim or Septra) given by your doctor, and request for closer evaluation if the condition fails to reduce.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.