Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  Several years of clinical experience in all fields of Medicine.
11246089

I am getting the shakes, visibly in my hands but I can feel all over my body. I have seve

Customer Question

I am getting the shakes, visibly in my hands but I can feel all over my body. I have several bouts of diarrhea per month and have to take anti diarrheals for this.I feel very tired all the time, weak when I have the shakes and I can feel very light headed with this. Sometimes if I eat something it goes away. I have beta blockers for anxiety, if I take them I don't have the shakes but sweat a lot. I have been tested for thyroid and diabetes as I wondered if it was blood sugar but the doctors say it is anxiety. It happens when I am not stressed at all and sometimes in the middle of my sleep so I don't believe this is the case. The shakes are beginning to worry me now as I feel that they have written it off as anxiety.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 4 years ago.
Hello, welcome to just answer and thank you for your question.

You should consult a neurologist for the shakes which is known as "tremors".If your tremors are persistent and present all the time, it is a serious issue and you should work this out with a neurologist with a detailed clinical and NCV or nerve conduction tests.

Tremors can be due to both neurological and psychiatric disorders. If your neurologist does not find any abnormality, you will have to consult a psychiatrist for other reasons. Multiple sclerosis is a disorder which can also produce tremors as one of its manifestations.

The light headedness is likely to be due to beta blockers.

It was a pleasure assisting you.Please press the "GREEN ACCEPT" button to accept the answer. FEEDBACK and BONUS would be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The shakes are not all the time. If I take the beta blockers I do not shake at all, if I leave them off it returns. I feel light headed when I get the shakes and weak. Do you think this could be related to blood sugar as it can be quite bad first thing in the morning. I used to first get the shakes just before and during my period, which was reduced when I took the pill. I have been off the pill for about 3 years and it is always worse around my period but not just at that time now - it seems to be all through the month. I have suffered with diarrhea for many years and it will also just come and go
The shakes are taken care of by the beta blockers but the latter also tend to lower the blood sugar level. You should do a random blood sugar test to make sure you do not have low levels.

The diarrhea is likely due to IBS.

But as I already states earlier, your symptoms may have an anxiety issue also because tremors and chronic diarrhea are common in anxious people.

Besides continuing with the medicines, I would advise you to try alternative ways to reduce anxiety like yoga and acupuncture. These therapies have been found to reduce the requirement of drugs to control symptoms and also has a positive impact on the life of the patient. Here is a link to help you. You can also google other links on the internet.

Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience: Several years of clinical experience in all fields of Medicine.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, A year on and the shakes are really quite bad now. I have them when I wake up in the morning and they make me feel very stressed as my whole body is shaking. Again it is still worse the week before my period although I do have it all the time. It does stop after a meal for approx 2 hours and then I feel stressed shakes return. I drop and break things all the time when I am shaking like this. I really feel this must be a blood sugar problem as a meal does stop it and the only thing that does. (except propranolol which I have been not taking so I know when I should eat some food) After my breakfast it takes a long time to calm down until about 11 but I feel so terrible in the mornings and it is making work difficult. I am going back to the doctors but would like to know if low blood sugar can cause bouts of diarrhea as I have had the runs about 2-3 times a week for the last 6 weeks. As you can imagine my place of work is getting rather tired of me and I fear I will lose my job.
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 3 years ago.
You should get your blood sugar checked in the fasting state and after you have your meal.
Hypoglycemia can cause such symptoms like shakes and even diarrhea sometimes.

You should consult a neurologist also to exclude any neurological cause for your symptoms.