Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

I have suffered almost total sleep deprivation for many years

I have suffered almost total sleep deprivation for many years and have participated in several tests. All to no avail. Two five mg tablets of Valium at bedtime for over five years got me up to almost four hours per night. Now I have weaned myself off of that and back to little to no sleep for days on end. Any suggestion, please._XXXXX XXXXX

Welcome to Just Answer:

Any problem with chronic pain?

Do you currently use pain medications?

Other medical conditions?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for the prompt response. An occasional Ibuproferin, very seldom. Did suffer from chronic knee pain, however, I underwent a total replacement nearly three years ago and can easily walk, on smooth surfaces, over two miles with no pain. Everyone that studies my situation always comes back that it stems from my ears of being too busy. My mind just will not stop functioning. If I do fall asleep, even for a few minutes, brain scans have revealed that section of my body is still going at 100 mph.

I am now one month into a self-imposed inclusion of melatonin and valeriana root regimen. I about went nuts when I took myself off Valium and really want to say away from any type of addictive drug.

Thank you sincerely

Bill Hill

Thank you so much:

It is likely that you are experiencing the symptoms of chronic anxiety with insomnia due to underling hyper-adrenergic flow and/or hormonal imbalance in the body. I suggest that you follow-up with an endocrinologist for detail evaluation of your body hormonal balance, including testosterone, thyroid hormone, adrenal function, progesterone, among others. It is possible that a balanced hormonal therapy would help resolve such problem. In addition, evaluation to exclude any underlying autoimmune connective tissue or collagen vascular conditions with tests including ANA, ESR, C-reactive proteins, TSH, anti-SSA (rho), anti-SSB (La) and ANCA panel, should be considered. In the meantime, I suggest that you continue to use the sleeping aids, and get regular aerobic exercises, reduce TV watching in case you do, relaxation exercises, massages and yoga/Tai Chi can be helpful.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.