Dr.David
Dr.David, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist,MBBS
6554558

had my blood pressure checked today. was 134/79. usually

had my blood pressure checked today. was 134/79. usually in the high 120s/70s range. I understand on some websites, this is called high normal.. others it is called prehypertension.

1) how can i lower it?

2) should i be overly concerned about my numbers?

3) what is prehyertension?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.David replied 6 years ago.
Hello
Are you overweight?
Do you have high cholesterol level or high blood sugar level?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i do need to lose weight, though i am not considered obese. i weigh around 190 and would like be 170 or 165. as far as cholesterol, my total number last year was in the 160s and i have a normal blood sugar level.
Expert:  Dr.David replied 6 years ago.
In your age of 30 years,minimum blood pressure should be 110/77 mm & maximum should be 122/81 mm.Your blood pressure of 134/79 mm

is slightly higher than normal range. This range is called high normal.It can also be called as prehypertension. Slightly elevated blood pressure is known as prehypertension. Prehypertension will likely turn into high blood pressure (hypertension) if you don't make lifestyle changes. Currently you don't need any medication. Just life style changes will help to lower it in a good way.Restrict your salt intake .Drink plenty of water.Limit your alcohol & avoid smoking.Eat a healthy diet. Eat less fat and sodium. Do regular exercise. All this will help you greatly to convert it into hypertension.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
did you mean help to prevent it from becoming hypertension?

as far as immediate, short and midterm health risks, this isn't something that will cause me great harm? i obviously need to get it down, and lifestyle changes will have to come, but just want to know that im not at risk of stroke or heart failure next year also.
Expert:  Dr.David replied 6 years ago.
Yes, all these life style changes will help to prevent it from becoming hypertension.Yes, as your blood sugar & serum cholesterol levels are normal, there is no immediate, short and midterm health risks. Ans Yes, there is very less probability for you to have a risk of stroke or heart failure in near future. But stress should be kept at bay which is the most common cause of hypertension ,heart attack, stroke etc.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
stress is definitely a problem.

i'll try to find a way to control that as well as improve my diet and get more exercise, water, and rest.

Expert:  Dr.David replied 6 years ago.
Yes, these life style changes will help you greatly in preventing it from becoming hypertension. Thankyou for using just answer website.Regards-
Dr.David.
Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.