DOC EK
DOC EK, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R)
41140702

I have had heart palpitations, chest pain, hot flashes, racing

Customer Question

I have had heart palpitations, chest pain, hot flashes, racing heart, neck
Category: Medical
Expert:  DOC EK replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
DOC EK :

hi

Customer :

Hello

DOC EK :

since how long do you have these problems

Customer :

about 2 months or so. The most recent thing is the jaw pain.

DOC EK :

how about your menstrual cycle

Customer :

it is irregular, but has been for a few years

DOC EK :

any other medical problems

Customer :

no. Have had some strange neurological symptoms over the last 2 years, bu thaven't found anything with that either.

Customer :

Oh, also have really bad ringing in the ears.

DOC EK :

what are those symptoms

Customer :

numbness in the leg, some facial numbness, some eye disturbances

Customer :

normal mri etc

DOC EK :

what investigations have been done and what was the results

Customer :

blood work was normal except for vitamin D, had a treadmill stress test and an ekg and Holter that were normal, so not the heart. Last MRI was a couple of years ago.

DOC EK :

what about the result of thyroid function test

Customer :

I think it was normal, although when I talked to the nurse the numbers she gave me for the normal limits were different from what was on line.

DOC EK :

do you have the report with you

Customer :

no, is that something I can ask for? I haven't seen it.

DOC EK :

Well yes i would like to know if the thyroid function tests are within normal limits or not as most of your symptoms are compatible with a hyperfunctioning thyroid

DOC EK :

second think would be to see what is your hemoglobin levels as anemia can cause most of these problem

Customer :

I can request the report from them, but they did say it was normal. Are they usually accurate?

DOC EK :

Third possibility considering your symptoms and an abnormal menstrual cycle is of a perimenopausal syndrome which can cause these symptoms

Customer :

at 35 years old?

DOC EK :

if the thyroid turn out to be normal then other possibilities should be considered

DOC EK :

perimenopausal syndrome can occur about 10-15 years before having a menopause and so possibility does exists

Customer :

would that casue the neck & throat & jaw pain as well?

DOC EK :

Also see your ENT doctor about problem of ringing in ear to have a complete examination

DOC EK :

it can cause non specific pains and so does thyroid disorder

DOC EK :

Throat pain can be due to problem of sorethroat as you also have ringing in ears so that is why important to get an opinion from ENT doctor as well because ear, nose and throat are inter-connected

DOC EK :

Feel free to ask anything

Customer :

what about thyroid cancer?

DOC EK :

Well usually thyroid cancers present with a swelling on the frontal aspect of the neck and if such a swelling is found then further evaluation by thyroid scan,ultrasound of thyroid and biopsy is required but before going on to such tests an examination will be required

DOC EK :

Feel free to ask anything
Click ACCEPT if you are satisfied

Expert:  DOC EK replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  DOC EK replied 3 years ago.
If you have any follow up question you are most welcome

Click ACCEPT if you are satisfied

Regards

DR EK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would it be ok to get my thyroid funtion report and check back with you tomorrow?
Expert:  DOC EK replied 3 years ago.
Sure

You can reply over to me when you get the report

Regards