911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

can amoxicillin cause a false drug test results for cocain

Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 4 years ago.
I do see a website that lists amoxicillin as causing a possible 'false positive' cocaine test and it is here... unfortunately, this is merely a site trying to sell you a 'detox' product, none of which work.

Cocaine - Substances or Conditions which can cause false positives
Kidney infection (kidney disease)
Liver infection (liver disease)
Diabetes
Amoxicillin, tonic water

but this, from the national institute of health is hard to argue with... still, two of the 33 tests were positive for the metabolite of cocaine. how to explain this? i think that the nih study, without naming names, suggests that the two positive tests were probably in people using cocaine because the positive tests were confirmed with spectrography, and that does not miss... ever.

so, in summary, it is commonly held that amoxicillin can cause a positive cocaine result. the science is not there.

i hope this helps.
best.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
if i took two lines of cocain on saturday and took a piss test tuesday how much of it can be detected
Expert:  911DOC replied 4 years ago.
it is impossible to say with certitude, but here's the deal. three to five days seems to be the answer.

as you can see from the link... it seems that heavy users are more likely to test positive at, say, three days, than the occasional user.

i can see that you are very nervous about this and i hope you skate by. i'm not going to preach at you about drug use except to say that of all the drugs of abuse, cocaine, can be that lightning bolt that kills you with just one line. heroin can certainly do it but users of heroin die from respiratory depression due to overdose... cocaine can just flat out screw your heart up and kill you with no warning.

now, let's say you test positive, what do you do? first of all, you might request a retest. you might mention the amoxicillin thing as i do not think it is completely disproven by the nih study. and, if you get to retest do not, do not, do not use any cocaine or meth or anything like it. drink a lot of water the morning of your test but fully empty your bladder before going to the test.

other than that i hope it all works out for you. you were at the three day window when you gave your sample. if you are an occasional user then there's a decent chance you will test negative.

best
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ive never used it before in my entire life and im in the military so im not sure if they will give me a retest
Expert:  911DOC replied 4 years ago.
then, you need to get straight in your mind what you will do if the test is positive. i know the wait will be terrible. i truly wish you the best...
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician