Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I have a throbbing pain in my left upper thigh area, it gets

Customer Question

I have a throbbing pain in my left upper thigh area, it gets worst when I sit down. I can work on the leg, but when I sit it is gets very painfully it seems to come from where the bone and my hip meet
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thanks for your question.
As you describe there may be following possibilities in your case-
Lumbar radiculopathy-- nerve compression, of something like the L2 or L3 nerve root in the lumbar spine, which apparently is only aggravated when placed in certain positions.

Peripheral arterial disease -Throbbing pain indicates vasodilatation (inflammation).

So you need to be seen by a doctor for a clinical examination and undergo Complete Blood Count , ESR , Lipid panel , X-ray /MRI of lumbosacral spine,Color doppler study of lower limb for further evaluation .
Your doctor may refer you to Orthopedist or Vascular specialist as per needed.
In the meantime take OTC Motrin/Tylenol .
Elevate your leg.
Take proper rest.
I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

problem is I live in Australia, even with full medical insurance which I have I would NEVER get approved for all of those tests. I have lived in the USA and I know there you can get them. Here you have have your leg falling off and be not breathing to get an MRI, I would need to be married to a Orthopedist to get in to see one unless I am in excruciating pain.

So what can I tell my GP here that might prompt him to at least refer me to a specialist, you can't just call a and book a specialist you have to be refered.

Thanks

Well firstly you need to take proper rest and take OTC Motrin to relieve pain .
You need to be seen by your GP for a clinical examination and as per underyling cause your doctor may prescribe medications .
Investigations should be recommended as per required after a clinical examination by your doctor . Sometimes diagnosis can be made with detailed clinical examination .
So i would suggest you to consult your doctor for further evaluation and management .
If you have severe pain now then visit ER .