Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!
A sinus infection can cause systemic (generalized) bodyaches and general fatigue. Though nerve pain is not usual and may only occur, if infection is severe. Pressure pain on face and headache can be associated. Following tests can confirm the sinus infection;
1) A coronal CT of the sinuses and/or fiberoptic nasal endoscopy is diagnostic for it.
2) Some physician may recommend nasal smear also to differential the allergy and infection.
The aim of treatment is;
a) relieve the obstruction,
b) treatment of the infection,
c) thinning the mucus, and
d) opening the sinus.
Following is the usual treatment protocol of sinus infection;
1) Nasal steroid; decrease inflammation and open up obstruction.
2) Oral decongestants such as pseudoephedrine are often helpful.
3) Topical decongestant for short duration.
5) Steam vaporizer
6) Eucalyptus oil may help
7) Nasal saline irrigation
8) Vitamin C
9) Antibiotics; only if nasal culture is positive and there are signs in CT scan.
For treating it naturally; steam inhalation, nasal saline water (salt water) irrigation (can be done by Neti-pot), Vitamin C, Eucalyptus oil inhalation can be done. Following can increase the body immunity so help in overcoming the sinus infection;
1) Omega 3; Fish oil capsule and flaxseed oil capsule.
2) Ginkgo Biloba
3) Zinc 30 mg.
Please feel free for your follow up questions.