Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I had a gun blast near my right ear. Did not loose all hearing

I had a gun blast near my right ear. Did not loose all hearing just some ringing for the first day. Ringing is mostly gone now. Vary sensitive to sound so I put ear plug in. Should I do anything more. I will go to a doctor as soon as I can get off work.
Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.David replied 6 years ago.
Hello
Gun muzzle blast produces very high noise that is 140db.This can also cause permanent damage to ears.
A ringing in the ears, called tinnitus, commonly occurs after noise exposure. I advice to use complete covers called Earmuffs that are made of a hard outer shell and a soft inner cushion, and they cover the entire ear.
Not only do they allow low level sounds through, like conversation, they automatically shut off all sound when it goes above 85dB. they are much better & effective than simple ear plugs.

Since hear loss is painless and gradual, you might not notice it.Many people will experience temporary tinnitus after being exposed to loud noise.I advice you to make an appointment with ENT doctor ASAP.Regards-
Dr.David.
Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.

Edited by Dr.David on 8/28/2010 at 5:50 AM EST
Dr.David, Doctor
Experience: Internal Medicine Specialist,MBBS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It was an accident so I was not wearing any ear protection. I just want to know how I should be treating it after the fact. Like I said I have been wearing an ear plug in the right ear due to sensitivity. Should I be doing more then this. Should I be taking IBprophen or something. There has been no pain. The ringing comes and goes.

Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 6 years ago.
thanks for your reply.i am an ent doctor and will try to help you as the other expert is offline.ear ringing after a blast means that your inner ear has been affected.please visit ent urgently as you may need steroids to avoid permanent hearing loss.please dont delay this.i hope this helps you.click accept if you agree.regards.good luck
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery