Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

What does LDL (bad cholesterol) mean in the blood test, called

What does LDL (bad cholesterol) mean in the blood test, called LDL particle count mean?
What does HDL (good cholesterol) mean in the blood test, called LDL particle count mean?
What is the normal LDL & HDL particle count per DL?
My Regular LDL is 120 mg/dl and my Regular HDL is 39 mg/dl. Now, for my actual question my LDL (bad cholesterol) particle count per dL is 1686 and my HDL (good cholesterol) particle count is 2.5 per dL. Avg. particle size is 26.4.

What does this mean?

LDL means low density lipoprotein and the more the level of LDL or LDL particle count in your blood the more you are at risk of developing coronary artery disease or in other words the more you are at risk of having things like a heart attack or a stroke. On the other hand the more the level of HDL the less the risk of you having things like a heart attack or stroke in the future.

Now coming to the normal values of the LDL and HDL particle counts in the blood:

Normal and abnormal values for LDL particle counts are given below. On the extreme left hand side MESA stands for Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis which determines your risk for having atherosclerosis.

MESA PercentileLDL particles nmol/LInterpretation
0-20%<1,000Those with lowest rate of cardiovascular disease events & low, Optimal LDL particle concentration
20-50%1,000-1,299Those with moderate rate of cardiovascular disease events & moderate LDL particle concentration
50-80%1,300-1,599Those with Borderline-High rate of cardiovascular disease events & higher LDL particle concentration
89-95%1,600 to 2,000Those with High rate of cardiovascular disease events & High LDL particle concentration
>95%>2,000Those with Very High rate of cardiovascular disease events & Highest LDL particle concentrations

Normal and abnormal values for HDL are given below along with their interpretation as to what it means (yours was 26.4):

MESA PercentileTotal HDL particles μmol/LInterpretation
>75%>34.9Those with highest (Optimal) total HDL particle concentrations & lowest rates of cardiovascular disease events
50-75%30.5-34.5Those with moderately high total HDL particle concentrations & moderate rates of cardiovascular disease events
25-50%26.7-30.5Those with lower total HDL particle concentrations & Borderline-High rates of cardiovascular disease
0-25%<26.7Those with lowest total HDL particle concentrations & Highest rates of cardiovascular disease events

Regarding total particle counts the normal and abnormal values are the following (yours was 2.5)

MESA PercentileLarge HDL particles μmol/LInterpretation
>75%>7.3Those with highest (Optimal) Large HDL particle concentrations & lowest rates of cardiovascular disease events
50-75%4.8-7.3Those with moderately high Large HDL particle concentrations & moderate rates of cardiovascular disease events
25-50%3.1-4.8Those with lower Large HDL particle concentrations & Borderline-High rates of cardiovascular disease
0-25%<3.1Those with lowest Large HDL particle concentrations & Highest rates of cardiovascular disease events

So, with your LDL particle count of 1686 you fall in the category of "Those with High rate of cardiovascular disease events & High LDL particle concentration" and with your HDL particle count of 26.4 you fall in the category of "Those with lowest total HDL particle concentrations & Highest rates of cardiovascular disease events"

Regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your help I will give you positive feedback! You said lipoprotein, is LDL, lipoprotein little (a)? If, not what is lipoprotein little (a)? Mine is high, I do not have that result with me.
LDL stands for "Low Density Lipoprotein" which is the bad cholesterol. I did not mention lipoprotein little, did I?
I think that you are asking about lipoprotein little a (Lpa): The normal and abnorma values of Lp(a) are given below:

Desirable: < 14 mg/dL (< 35 nmol/l)

Borderline risk: 14 - 30 mg/dL (35 - 75 nmol/l)

High risk: 31 - 50 mg/dL (75 - 125 nmol/l)

Very high risk: > 50 mg/dL (> 125 nmol/l)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was just asking because I had a blood test called lipoprotein little a? And in your answer you said Lipoprotein. I have different results for lipoprotein little (a) than the particle count and regular LDL.
I think that you are asking about lipoprotein little a (Lpa): The normal and abnormal values of Lp(a) are given below:

Desirable: < 14 mg/dL (< 35 nmol/l)

I would like to mention that Lp(a) to date cannot yet be regarded as a conventional, well established risk factor for cardiovascular disease as not many studies have been done on it although higher levels have been associated with increased risk for heart disease as well

Edited by Dr. Shahzad MD on 8/24/2010 at 11:59 PM EST