Ask Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurolog...

Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology, Doctor
Experience:  Neurologist :: Clinical Neurophysiologist :: University of California.
19824690

What are the statistics re healing of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

What are the statistics re healing of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome without resorting to surgery,ie., the cutting of the transverse medial ligament (to relieve the compression of the median nerve)? I understand that the procedure is not without risks, as are them all, and the recuperation period can be lenghthy.
Thank you very much.
Marie -Elaine Cook
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

How long have you had the carpel tunnel?

Any other medical problem?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have had the CTS for about 6 months now.

I have HBP, am hypothyroid, gluten-sensitive, problem sleeping well, abnormal Cholesterol ratios- taking acebutolol 300 mg bid, Micardis (telmisartan) 80 mg OD, Hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg OD, ASA 81 mg OD, Synthroid 0.125 mg OD, alprazolam 0.5 mg bid, niacin 1000 mg tid, zopiclone 11.25 mg at night.

also take EFA's, Co Enzyme Q10, Multi vits, ester-C, Cal Mg (enhanced), Vit E (Mixed tocopherols and tocotrienols), Chromium and Vanadium supp., Vit B complex!

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much:

Many carpel tunnel syndrome can to resolved with supportive care without surgery. It is likely that your hypothyroidism is contributing significantly to the symptoms of your carpel tunnel syndrome in addition to overuse of the wrist. So, in addition to maintaining good control of your thyroid problem, I suggest that you consider another method of resolving the symptoms with surgery been last option if this fails. One of the effective means to achieve this healing in addition to other supportive care includes the use of "Carpal Solution" with helps to significantly resolve the wrist pain, hand numbness and finger tingling of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome few days. This is not the same as the usual over the counter treatments for carpel tunnels, and it is not the immobilizing wrist brace or splint. The "Carpel Solution" is worn at night. It works to gently stretch and reshapes soft tissue in and about the carpel tunnel. In addition, the "Carpel Solution" increase the wrist flexibility and improve blood circulation to the affect wrist. I suggest that you consider using or at least discuss its merits further with your doctor.

Fixing Carpal Tunnel Without Surgery

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What exactly is this "Carpal solution" that you are suggesting to me? You said that it is worn at night; how different is this from the wrist support or splint that I already have??
Expert:  Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology replied 4 years ago.

As a neurologist I can tell you that "Carpal Solution" described above as "effective" is nothing more than a gimmick that will cost about $150-200.

It has been FDA-registered which essentially means nothing. It hasn't been studied by anyone other than its manufacturer, has not been even cleared by the FDA as safe, although it may be as safe as it is ineffective.

Those patients who felt hopeful and even desperate to try it because they suffered and posted reviews, they voice their disappointment and how it was a waste of their time and money.

It isn't even applied on the wrist where the pinching of the nerve occurs. Their claim that it stretches or reshapes tissues is fiction.

You may find some "positive" reviews but you can be sure these did not come from customers.

If you are looking for alternative treatments -- massage and acupuncture, in addition to bracing, stretching and occupational therapy are much more likely to bring relief that "carpal solution".

At some point the pressure on the median nerve from the surrounding tissue is so great that the only intervention that will work is surgery done by a specialized hand surgeon.

The degree of nerve damage is evaluated by doing a test called EMG (electromyography) which you may have already had.

Corticosteroid injections can be tried as well before surgical intervention.

I hope this helps.

Experience: Neurologist :: Clinical Neurophysiologist :: University of California.