Caring doc
Caring doc, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist. MBBS,MD
25020506

My son has dry cough only during the day, once he goes to sleep

My son has dry cough only during the day, once he goes to sleep it is gone. He was given antibiotics and claritin for 2 weeks after 4 days there are no sign of improvement. He has this cough for 4 months on and off. He has seen five doctors and many of them said because he only cough when he is awake they don't know what is the cause. And they recommended to come after the prescription on the antibiotics is done and if there is no signs of improvement they will refer to him a specialist.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Caring doc replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Caring doc :

Hi.Welcome to just answer.

Caring doc :

sorry to hear about your son's problem.

JACUSTOMER-bqts3il6- :

so what do i do?

JACUSTOMER-bqts3il6- :

he has already seen five doctors at kaiser

Caring doc :

It might be possible that if infections and allergies has been ruled out he is probably suffering from some chronic lung disaese process like fibrosing alveolitis or IPF.He needs investigations like High resolution CT scan or spirometry to rule out these conditions.He needs to be reviewed by a pulmonologist.

JACUSTOMER-bqts3il6- :

what is an immediate remedy to calm down his cough today, we were already suggested to go to a pulmonologist once he as finished his antibiotics. is there anything we can do before we go to one?

Caring doc :

He may benefit from steam inhalation and ventoline nebulization.but if the cause is one of the processes which i have mentioned,he will need steroids as well.

JACUSTOMER-bqts3il6- :

What is ventoline nebulization? He was treated with a qvar inhaler which is a mild form steroid, but this had no real benefit.

Caring doc :

it is steam inhalaion of a broncodilator called salbutamol.I am not talking about the steroid inhaler i am talking about oral steroids which are needed at higher doses.

JACUSTOMER-bqts3il6- :

Thank you for your help this is same info I got, very tired nothing done with those 5 doctors we have seen still have to wait next week for a referral to a (pulmonologist.).