How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Dr. Stan Your Own Question

Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 2690
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Stan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently found out that i might have a half sister and me,her

Customer Question

I recently found out that i might have a half sister and me,her and my mom did a Dna test.I got the results, but can not understand what exactly they mean.it says based on the statistical analysis of the above data it is 1.91 times less likely(or a 34.364454230537%chance) that tested sibling 1 and sibling 2 are half biological siblings versus not being related at all.inclusion of the known parent may lead to additional results relevant to this relationship and is highly recommended.it is possible we share the same father but he is not available to test.I noticed on the results me and my possible sister share commo alleles.we share 9 out of 15 and out of those 9 we are above the 50% mark,which i understand we would need to be to be considered half sisters.can someone please answer this for me .it is my birthday today and i so wanted to know if she is or is not my half sister.If she is that would be awesome news.thanks
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 3 years ago.
Hello,

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is most likely that both of you are at least half sisters. It is possible still that both of your share the same father and mother. An index number of 1.0 means there is a 50% chance that the two people are siblings. An index number of 10 or greater is almost certainly conclusive. An index number between 1 and 10 that exceeds the next closest number by a factor of three is probably conclusive. Your index 1.91 (34% chance) that you are not siblings, but 8.09 (66% chance) that you are siblings.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 2690
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
Dr. Stan and 6 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 3 years ago.
Congratulations on finding your sister, and happy birthday!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
wow thank you so much i just want you to know i was tested as my mother was to increase the likely hood of me and my possible sister being my sister . it is about if me and this other person(possible sister share the same father. and from what i know my mom and dad did not have another child together.this person in question was born before all of us .meaning me and my brother's.she has a different mother.i just want to make sure you are clear on that and i would like a response back to this and i will definately accept your answer.thank you so much
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much.

Based on the result of the DNA test (usually reliable), both of you are certainly half siblings. Such degree of DNA result rarely occurs by chance. I am really happy for you. Take care.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much and what awesome news to get on my Birthday.your are so kind and thank you so much for getting back to me so quick.you are awesome.
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 3 years ago.
You are most welcomed.

JustAnswer in the News:

 
 
 
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... Justanswer.com.
JustAnswer.com...has seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like justanswer.com/legal
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
 
 
 

What Customers are Saying:

 
 
 
  • I feel so much better today, and upon further investigation believe that there is a chance that the responses I got saved me from a serious, even life threatening situation. I am very grateful to the experts who answered me. Susan O. USA
< Last | Next >
  • I feel so much better today, and upon further investigation believe that there is a chance that the responses I got saved me from a serious, even life threatening situation. I am very grateful to the experts who answered me. Susan O. USA
  • I can go as far as to say it could have resulted in saving my sons life and our entire family now knows what bipolar is and how to assist and understand my most wonderful son, brother and friend to all who loves him dearly. Thank you very much Corrie Moll Pretoria, South Africa
  • I thank-you so much! It really helped to have this information and confirmation. We will watch her carefully and get her in for the examination and US right away if things do not improve. God bless you as well! Claudia Albuquerque, NM
  • Outstanding response time less than 6 minutes. Answered the question professionally and with a great deal of compassion. Kevin Beaverton, OR
  • Suggested diagnosis was what I hoped and will take this info to my doctor's appointment next week.
    I feel better already! Thank you.
    Elanor Tracy, CA
  • Thank you to the Physician who answered my question today. The answer was far more informative than what I got from the Physicians I saw in person for my problem. Julie Lockesburg, AR
  • You have been more help than you know. I seriously don't know what my sisters situation would be today if you had not gone above and beyond just answering my questions. John and Stefanie Tucson, AZ
 
 
 

Meet The Experts:

 
 
 
  • Dr. Thomas, MD

    Board Certified Physician

    Satisfied Customers:

    46349
    Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
< Last | Next >
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/DR/DrThomasMd/2012-7-25_134438_Imagess1.64x64.jpg Dr. Thomas, MD's Avatar

    Dr. Thomas, MD

    Board Certified Physician

    Satisfied Customers:

    46349
    Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/MY/mysticdoc/2012-6-8_15615_mysticdoc3.64x64.jpg Dr. D.J.'s Avatar

    Dr. D.J.

    Board Certified Physician

    Satisfied Customers:

    14679
    MD
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/agketch/2008-7-14_184046_drketchresized.jpg Dr. Ketch's Avatar

    Dr. Ketch

    Board Certified Physician

    Satisfied Customers:

    76
    Medical Degree, Former Assistant Professor at School of Medicine at Yale University
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/FA/FamilyPhysician/2013-8-31_191624_JA550x500Photo.64x64.jpg Family Physician's Avatar

    Family Physician

    Doctor

    Satisfied Customers:

    2562
    Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/DR/drappapo/2013-8-16_22576_drdavid.64x64.jpg Dr. David's Avatar

    Dr. David

    Board Certified Physician

    Satisfied Customers:

    224
    Treat children/young adults, former chief resident, multiple publications
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/DrDLove/2009-08-12_141522_DrDLove.jpg Dr. D. Love's Avatar

    Dr. D. Love

    Doctor

    Satisfied Customers:

    11961
    Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/CO/commissure/2011-4-15_192514_REISD20080926JR1090.64x64.jpg Dr. David's Avatar

    Dr. David

    Board Certified Physician

    Satisfied Customers:

    10667
    Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.