Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

Bowel..Dr. Oz saying low serotonin, may be causing the problem

Hi I have irritable Bowel problem and read an item in a magazine about Dr. Oz saying low serotonin, may be causing the problem, What do I do about it. Can I get something at a drug store for this or do I need a doctor to order it for me.

Welcome to Just Answer:

Serotonin is one of the body chemicals the regulate sleep and mood. To increase the level of serotonin in the body and thus reduce the symptoms related to the low serotonin level, I suggest that you follow-up with your doctor for closer evaluation and possible prescription of medications such as Zoloft, Paxil, or Effexor. These medications act to slow down the removal of the available serotonin at the site of action, and hence increase the level. In the meantime, you may consider using over the counter supplement - Tryptophan, which is an amino acid that the body uses to make serotonin.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.