Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

What is the role of Ca and K as related to post exercise cramps?

Welcome to Just Answer:

A shift in the muscle cellular compartment levels of potassium and/or calcium can cause significant muscle cramps. Increase exercise can cause dehydration, with imbalance in the muscle cells concentration of potassium and calcium, and hence muscle cramps. On the other hand, there could be loss of potassium with exercise causing which can also cause muscle cramps. The solution is optimal level of potassium. I suggest that you maintain adequate potassium supplement through eating banana regularly, and/or good multivitamin supplement with potassium and calcium. Post exercise cramps is more of a problem with potassium than calcium, and can be significantly resolved with good electrolyte fluid hydration such as Gatorade, and regular intake of banana or potassium supplement if you frequently engage in high intensity exercise.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.