Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MS
4931939

I did a line of cocaine 4 months ago, I have a 90 day hair

Customer Question

I did a line of cocaine 4 months ago, I have a 90 day hair drug test in a week, will I pass?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 4 years ago.
They usually test the latest one and a half inch of hair growth which corresponds to 90 days of hair growth.Therefore you are likely to pass if you had used it 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When the cocaine drug metabolites get deposited in the hair follicle after use, how long do they continue to get deposited? If it is only a one time use, will the next months hair growth be clean hair?
Metabolites get deposited at the time of use only.
The next months growth would be clean.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So if I did a small line of cocaine april 8th and I have a 90 day hair drug test in a week, will I pass?
You should not have a problem considering that the part of the hair which would contain the metabolite would not be tested.
you should pass the test.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It states that drug metabolites (cocaine) can migrate along the shaft, can it migrate up into the clean new hair growth causing me to fail?
What states that metabolites can migrate?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Information I have read, states that cocaine metabolites are easy to detect in a hair drug test because they can migrate along the hair shaft. Can the metabolites migrate into the clean 3 months (1.5 inches) of hair that will be tested?
I have never read or heard anything like this.As hair grow they tend to incorporate the substances present in the body.Once the hair has grown the substances incorporated in that part of the hair remain in the part where they were incorporated.
Hair is not a liquid where a chemical will move.Hair shaft is a solid structure which is not alive ( other than the follicle part where the growth occurs)and therefore no substance or metabolite can migrate along the shaft.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much for helping me feel at ease about this. That was a stupid thing I tried, and I really want this job I am applying for. So you think that with not using the drug for a little over 4 months, I should pass a 90 day hair drug test?

Yes I do think so.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it possible that with such a small amount of cocaine ingested just one time, that it may not even get deposited into my hair to be detected?
Metabolites would get deposited but the amount may not be detectable if a small amount has been used.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The metabolites would get deposited into the hair after the drug has been taken and grow out only on that part of the hair?
Yes I have explained it to you earlier too.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How long from when the drug is taken until it gets deposited into the hair? How long until it starts to grow out?
The metabolites are deposited into the growing hair only till they are circulating in blood which is around 2-4 days.They do not get deposited in hair thereafter.
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,MS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how long after a one time use will cocaine not be detectable in a hair test?
Expert:  Family Physician replied 4 years ago.

Cocaine is detected in hair test within 5-10 days of exposure (the time it takes for hair to grow enough to be included in the specimen) and is generally detectable for about 90 days.

The standard hair collection is 1.5 inches, and the average rate of hair growth (scalp) is 1/2 inch per month. By 4 months - you would be expected to have a negative hair test.

(Body hair can be used as an alternative in patients who are bald, and the rate of hair growth in other locations is slower, thus a longer detection period)

Here is some additional information on hair testing from Quest Diagnostics, one of the largest drug testing programs in the world.

www.questdiagnostics.com/employersolutions/.../hair_testing_faq.pdf

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so after 90 days the drug metabolites die out or are not present in the hair anymore?
NO - the hair would still have the cocaine metabolites in it until the hair fell out or was cut.

The hair test is conducted in such a way that the 1.5 inches of hair closest to the scalp is use for the test. If your hair is longer than 1.5 inches, they only use the portion that is closest to the scalp.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so if i did a small line of cocaine april 8th and I have a 90 day hair drug test in three days, would I pass?
Since this well beyond 90 days (actually 143 days) - YES, you should pass this test.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have read many things that state that cocaine is detected in the hair for 90 days i don't understand what this means.
Since the testing procedure uses a length of hair (1.5 inches) equal to approximately 90 days of hair growth, the test which is done on 90 days worth of hair would only find a drug deposited during that 90 days.

Think of hair as a bunch of small segments - piled end on end. Each days growth equals one segment. On a day that you took the drug, that segment would include cocaine metabolites. That segment then grows out, and a new segment is started below that original segment. After 90 days of growth (90 segments), the hair would not be included in the test.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can the metabolites migrate at all up into the clean hair growth?
NO - the segment of hair that is growing that day would be the ONY segment that contains the metabolite. There is no migration or circulation of the drug through the hair shaft.

In fact, segmental analysis can be done to determine the approximate date when drugs were used. (This is NOT part of a standard drug test, but can be done in forensic testing such as legal cases or autopsy)

Edited by FamilyPhysician on 8/26/2010 at 10:34 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so the only way you test positive is if you ingest the drug during the 90 days that the hair test will be testing.
Correct - to be safe, a bit longer since there some variation in the rate of hair growth. B 143 days you would be sure to be negative.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so you don't think i have anything to worry about? if the hospitals procedures state that they are only testing 90 days they really are only testing 90 days? i should have no trouble passing this then?
I would honestly NOT give it another thought. You will pass a test at this point.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you again for your help

Your welcome