Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

i hit my pinky toe 8 days ago and the purple went away but

i hit my pinky toe 8 days ago and the purple went away but it still kind of swollen and it bothers me what can i do. i also I like to run

Is there any deformity to the toe? (meaning does it look like it sticks out or is angled abnormally?)
Is there any pain in the foot itself or is it only the toe itself?
Do you have any chronic health problems?

Dr abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no deformity, pain is around toe top and bottom, no cronic health problems
Thank you for the information,

If the pain is in the toe itself and it remains swollen, there is a possibility that you have a small fracture of the toe. We don't cast fractures of the toes (other than the first toe) but there are specific measures that can be taken to help with comfort and healing.

First, since it is still painful, you need to avoid any activities that increase pain.
Second, wear hard soled shoes. Avoid going barefoot as much as possible. The hard soled shoes will help with support for the toe
Third, take an anti-inflammatory such as aleve or ibuprofen with food
Fourth, when sitting, keep the toe elevated to heart level when possible to help decrease swelling
Fifth, buddy tape the pinky toe to the toe next to it. Make sure you place some cotton or gauze in between the toes to avoid skin irritation
Here is a picture of how to buddy tape--keep the buddy taping in place for a week. You can do it longer if needed for comfort.

http://www.health.com/health/static/hw/media/medical/hw/h9991553_001.jpg

You can start running when it no longer causes pain (or when pain is minimal)

Feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Thank you!

The socks probably will not make much of a difference. If you have them, you can use them but I would not spend the money on them if you don't already own them.

Dr Abby