Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

How can I have Tachypnea only when Im sleeping

How can I have Tachypnea only when Im sleeping?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that during sleep you are retaining more than necessary carbon dioxide in the lungs. This can occur due to either sleep apnea or poor respiratory drive during sleep. In response to the retained carbon dioxide your body stimulates tachypnea through effect on respiratory center to blow off the retained carbon dioxide. I suggest that you follow-up with your doctor for closer evaluation with tests including arterial blood gas, Pulse Ox, chem-8 and sleep studies if not already done. Treatment will be directed at the underlying cause after the testing.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Edited by Dr. Stan on 8/19/2010 at 2:53 AM EST