Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

I have a bump on my left index finger, below the nail on the

I have a bump on my left index finger, below the nail on the left side of the finger but not on the joint. ...have had it for years. Over time it has grown larger. Sometimes is painful to touch and other times not.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that this bump is caused by an underlying autoimmune connective tissue condition, including nodule of rheumatoid arthritis or others. It could also represent ganglion cyst, pilar cyst, ingrown hair follicle cyst, and dermolipoma, most of which are not harmful, and can be removed by excision. However, due to the increasing size, I suggest that you follow-up with your doctor for closer evaluation.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Edited by Dr. Stan on 8/19/2010 at 1:20 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do have small bumps on first joints of most fingers and both thumbs which are most probably arthritis related since my grandfather and mother had arthritis....but this one has been there for 10 years(or more) and has slowly increased in size...do you suspect it is a different manifestation of the same issue? Basically it is uncomfortable and somewhat unsightly and I want to get it removed... also wondering if this is a simple procedure
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much:

These bumps are related and likely manifestation of nodules from rheumatoid and/or osteoarthitis. I suggest that you follow-up with a Rheumatology doctor for closer evaluation. The nodules can be removed by the hand surgeon with a relatively simple procedure. However, care is taken to avoid small blood vessels and nerves. It is also possible that you may need medication treatment for arthritis in oder to slow down the rate of progression of the bumps.

Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay ..one more question ...can you recommend a surgeon in Scottsdale, Arizona or Anchorage, Alaska
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much:

David Thull, MD is an excellent hand surgeon. He practices hand surgery and orthopedic surgery in Scottsdale, Arizona.

Orthopedics Of North Scottsdale
10250 North 92nd Street Suite 114
Scottsdale, AZ, 85258
(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />

Edited by Dr. Stan on 8/19/2010 at 3:02 AM EST