DOC EK
DOC EK, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R)
41140702

After falling on my right knee, leg has swollen and is now

After falling on my right knee, leg has swollen and is now bruised from knee to foot. Is there a best way to alleviate swelling? Currently I am elevating my leg when sitting. I am still able to move my joint and walk. Crouching down is not an option, yet. Should I be taking an anti inflamatory as well as elevating my leg? It has only been a few days since the accident. No sprain or break is present and except for the stiffness and swelling my leg is not painful. Please tell me the best treatment I should take and don't tell me to go to a doctor. I will if the swelling doesn't subside. Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DOC EK replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
DOC EK :

hi

DOC EK :

do you have any x-ray after the accident

DOC EK :

does the swelling associated with bruising over your leg

DOC EK :

do you have pain on walking

Customer :

Hi, No. I have been self treating. I fell on a stone floor at the pool area on vacation.

Customer :

yes motled bruising developed a few days later and only painful when going down stairs from stiffness of swelling

DOC EK :

has the swelling worsened since the accident

DOC EK :

what medicines have you used so far

Customer :

My husband says to keep moving the knee to avoid stiffness, however elevating it while sitting alleviates the swelling. which treatment should I follow? No, not really any further swelling, as a matter of fact it is diminishing daily.

Customer :

Ibprohen and Advil, so far.

Customer :

Ibprophen, I mean.

DOC EK :

well the best thing would be to get an x-ray to rule out the possibility of any fracture. Once fracture is ruled out then there is nothing much to worry and your swelling should get better with time. Anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen or Naproxen are fine plus you should have elevate your leg as much as possible . Resting your leg will help in early settling of your swelling. Some people also get benefit from ice packs

DOC EK :

But all these things will help if there is no fracture which can only be seen by an x-ray

Customer :

When I first injured myself I used an icepak for 2 days.

DOC EK :

fine but you apparently seems to be not giving rest and keep on moving around so a reason why the swelling is not subsiding

Customer :

Just on my knee and I really feel the bruising is more circulatory as it spread from point of impact (knee) to my foot in about 3 days.

Customer :

so according to you I am treating it properly by staying off of it?

Customer :

Elevating my leg and taking anti inflamatories.

DOC EK :

Again stressing on my point that you do not have an x-ray yet so we are not sure if we are dealing with a case of fracture in which case the swelling will not subside until the fracture is fixed

Customer :

So is there a time limit to expect the swelling to stop?

Customer :

Provided there is no fracture.

Customer :

I have just recently incurred medical bills when having my long awaited Carpal Tunnel surgery and would rather not seek medical help at this time.

Customer :

Is one week an accepted period to expect swelling to stop?

Customer :

Only my foot seems swollen today.

Customer :

shin is tight but not swollen and my knee is just sore.

DOC EK :

If there is no fracture and the leg is rested properly and elevated things usually start getting better in a week or so but if it is a big swelling which does not seems to be in your case it can take more time

DOC EK :

anti inflammatory do speed up the recovery process to settle the swelling and local inflammation

Customer :

Thanks Doc. I had a feeling I was doing the right thing staying off, elevating and taking Advil. I just wanted confirmation from someone other than my husband, wrong advice. Do you have a reccomendation as to the best brand?

Customer :

Naproxen is that found in Alieve?

DOC EK :

yes

Customer :

Well I have plenty of that for arthritus aches. I think I have picked your brains enough. Thank you for your recomendations and good day.

DOC EK :

It is difficult to tell you the best brand as different doctors have different experiences with the same medicines in their patients but i have found aleve very good in my patients

DOC EK :

You are most welcome

DOC EK :

Click ACCEPT if you are satisfied

DOC EK, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R)