Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

My eyes..see the veins/capillaries in them more than..eye doctor

My eyes tend to get red and I can see the veins/capillaries in them more than i used to be able to. I am 24 and have had the problem going on 2 years, although it seems to come and go. When I was 22 I saw an eye doctor who told me he didn't believe there was anything significant going on. However the aesthetic look of red eyes bothers me and they do sometimes feel uncomfortable and "tired." I spend a fair amount of time in front of computer screens. I also had dust and cat allergies when I was a child.

I am having a physical on Friday to get this checked out and to assess overall health. However, any suggestions on my eyes?

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that you are experiencing the symptom of episcleritis or scleritis due to underlying autoimmune connective tissue or collagen vascular condition. This symptom of eye vein/capillaries prominence can be seen with chronic use of visine drops to clear redness from eye allergy. So, this could contribute to your problem. I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer complete eye evaluation with tests including ANA, ESR, C-reactive protein, TFTs, and ANCA panels. In the meantime, I suggest that you use over the counter Zaditor eye drop 4 times daily, and preservative free tear drop 4 times daily, at least 10 mins apart from the use of Zaditor eye drop. Also, use over the counter Aleve 1-2 pills twice daily with food for 2-3 weeks. In addition, I suggest that you stop the use of visine. Additional treatment or changes, if any, will occur after you see your eye doctor.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your help, your answer is appreciated. How common are episcleritis or scleritis due to underlying autoimmune connective tissue or collagen vascular condition issues?

How serious is the issue likely to be? Should I wait to see my new primary care physician on Friday or schedule an eye doctor appointment straight away?

Thanks,

Thank you so much:

Episcleritis is common, and usually treated with oral nonsteriodal anti-inflammatory medication such as Aleve, Indomethacin or Ibuprofen. Scleritis is treated similarly but can include other anti inflammatory and/or immunomodulatory medications. Scleritis is less common than episcleritis, and but more often associated with autoimmune inflammatory conditions. It's okay to follow-up with the doctor as scheduled, but you should seek immediate care if the condition worsens before Friday.