Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

My 22 year old son has small, hard lumps in 5 different places.

My 22 year old son has small, hard lumps in 5 different places. the one I felt today was alittle below and to the outside of his right (ac) arm. He says his latest is below his waist but above his groin. Are they lymph nodes and should he get them checked?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that these are lymph nodes or inflammatory nodules due to underlying infection or autoimmune inflammatory connective tissue or collagen vascular conditions. This would likely resolve with time if due to temporary viral, bacterial or allergic reactions. However, to determine the specific cause and better direct treatment, I suggest that he follow-up with his doctor for closer evaluation with tests including complete blood count, possible biopsy and testing of the lumps, chem-8, ANA, ESR, C-reactive protein, serum calcium levels, and ANCA panels. Treatment will be directed at specific cause based on the results of the testing.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.