Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have red bumps/blisters on the back of my tongue, a small

I have red bumps/blisters on the back of my tongue, a small cluster below my tongue and now getting canker sores. Never got canker sores before - and a white coated tongue. I was tested for strep and thrush and both were negative. This has been going on about 6 weeks.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Chip (M.D.) replied 6 years ago.

What about herpes?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I had an antiviral antibiotic for over seven days and it made it worse.
Antiviral as in acyclovir?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes that was it
Despite the tests, were you given medication for thrush or other antibiotics?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No not yet...
OK. I'd suggest a course of nystatin mouthwash and oral antibiotics first. If neither of those is effective, I'd check for vitamin deficiency, especially B 12. Glossitis--inflammation of the tongue--is either infectious or vitamin-based. I'm surprised the acyclovir didn't help, because this sounds more like herpes than B 12 deficiency, but it still could be thrush, despite whatever test was done to rule that out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would herpes cause the bumps/blisters at back of tongue and cluster of sores under tongue and now canker sores and white tongue? What is nystatin mouthwash?
Yes, it would--that's why I'm still suspecting that despite the acyclovir's not working. Nystatin is a prescription thrush medication, as is diflucan.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would the thrush cause the bumps/blisters sores? This all started with a slight ulcer on the roof of my mouth. I was having bad allergies and drainage at the time.
The whole complex doesn't sound like just one condition. You most likely have thrush, but I think you also have a viral (herpes) component to this.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Will it likely go away on its own - eventually?
It could, but you should be considering some other reason for your immune system being a bit down to cause this in the first place--CBC, HIV screen, etc.